Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

punkbizzy
Bunkface
First name: Tiago

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by punkbizzy »

Volted wrote:screaming bloody murder (the song) always reminds me of the game left for dead 2 because i was playing said game when i was waiting for it in the online radio thing. i'm hoping the music video (if any) takes a dark setting instead of just a video of them playing live.
I love left4dead2 :D
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

Everyone says Deryck drinks too much but you didn't realize that Tom and Steve are sometimes completely wasted ? Don't talk about smoking, he smokes occasionnally.

But I also agree with you, it's okay to have a hat and sunglasses where you're outside during the summer, but it's not polite do have it inside in January. Yes Deryck is nice and a good songwriter but I think he should stop to think he's better than a journalist just because he's a Rockstar. I miss the time when Sum 41 had the same clothes than the audience.
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:nah, deryck's 30 years old. he should be responsible enough to not let himself turn into such a mess. although i do wonder if brown tom is to blame to an extent, cuz deryck definitely wasn't this bad when dave was in the band.
I don't think Brown Tom could really be blamed because he was in the band since late 2006 and from that point up until 2008ish and Deryck's divorce, Deryck was still sober at Sum 41 shows. In the days of Does This Look Infected, Deryck had done cocaine and LSD and was getting drunk before every show. He cleaned up his act in 2004 when he started dating Avril. He stopped doing drugs and getting drunk before live performances.
Did Deryck physically say somewhere "During DTLI touring I did cocaine and LSD."?
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

kILLDR3n wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:nah, deryck's 30 years old. he should be responsible enough to not let himself turn into such a mess. although i do wonder if brown tom is to blame to an extent, cuz deryck definitely wasn't this bad when dave was in the band.
I don't think Brown Tom could really be blamed because he was in the band since late 2006 and from that point up until 2008ish and Deryck's divorce, Deryck was still sober at Sum 41 shows. In the days of Does This Look Infected, Deryck had done cocaine and LSD and was getting drunk before every show. He cleaned up his act in 2004 when he started dating Avril. He stopped doing drugs and getting drunk before live performances.
Did Deryck physically say somewhere "During DTLI touring I did cocaine and LSD."?
I can't remember well, but I think he did. Well Jeremy will certainly explain it better than me, actually I don't know much about this subject, I just know that before Chuck he had very hard moments, that's why it's dark... Well, correct me if I'm wrong.

And just to say that I met Deryck and I can also say he's really nice. He answers quickly to the journalists like he always do :winkwink:
Volted
Bunkface

Post by Volted »

Gregorovich wrote:
Volted wrote:screaming bloody murder (the song) always reminds me of the game left for dead 2 because i was playing said game when i was waiting for it in the online radio thing. i'm hoping the music video (if any) takes a dark setting instead of just a video of them playing live.
the video will be like a crime scene investigation of the events leading up to and including brown tom passed out in a field in a nurses costume.
that would be really funny. i hope they decide to do that if they find time to make the music video.

i'm actually glad to hear concern over deryck's habits/image, but i guess that's to be expected from fans. i was hoping that between their first album and now that they'd mature (in terms of public image, etc) but i always hear that "things are still the same" in those interviews. cone looks like the only one who isn't into all that as much, at least from interviews.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

kILLDR3n wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
http://www.playboy.co.uk/the-articles/i ... tentPage/0
8. Ever use drugs to enhance your sexual experience?

Whibley: I've never taken drugs for sex, but I have had sex on drugs. When I'm coming down from coke, I can't be alone for some reason. I always want to then. But when I'm high I'm more into talking and having fun.
http://rockdirt.com/sum-41-share-liquid ... ence/4594/
RollingStone.com spoke with Sum 41 drummer Steve ‘Stevo32′ Jocz who revealed the group’s little episode in Tokyo with the liquid LSD. “We were drinking at Lexington Queen, this bar in Tokyo,” Jocz remembers. “The last time we were there, we were all high on mushrooms, because they’re legal in Japan. So this time, me and Deryck went to this head shop across the street and said, ‘Gimme the strongest thing you got.’ And he gave us four vials apiece of liquid acid. I was on my third vial before we realized what it was. There was this big poster of Scooby-Doo. We stared at it for about an hour, terrified. And everyone said, ‘Steve, go up and touch it to make sure it’s not real.’ So I went and touched it. It was just a poster, but we were so scared. Never again!”

Rollingstone.com has since removed the article.
Here's what Avril had to say about it back in 2006 when they got married.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/peopl ... th_wedding
The 'Sk8r Boi' singer also claims she has changed her husband for the better.

Avril said: "I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him! We have a really good, strong relationship."

"He doesn't do drugs. Clearly, he used to, because he talked about it, but I wouldn't be with someone who did, and I made that very clear to him when we first started dating."

"I've never done cocaine in my life, and I'm proud of that. I am 100 percent against drugs."
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jeremy Kill wrote:

Avril said: "I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him! We have a really good, strong relationship."

"He doesn't do drugs. Clearly, he used to, because he talked about it, but I wouldn't be with someone who did, and I made that very clear to him when we first started dating."

"I've never done cocaine in my life, and I'm proud of that. I am 100 percent against drugs."
That's a lot to say about yourself..
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

She should've just said, "The Best Damn Thing" and play off the pun. Then she wouldn't have sounded so full of herself!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Yeah, you can definitely see the narcissism shine through. But it all makes sense, his semi-addiction went from drugs to love and now back to drugs (even though it's "just" alcolhol). That's what happens if you change for someone else and suddenly that person leaves.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jeremy Kill wrote:She should've just said, "The Best Damn Thing" and play off the pun. Then she wouldn't have sounded so full of herself!
hahaha I think it was the way she worded it, maybe she DID straighten him up a little, but the 'best things that's ever happened to him" haha...no. I disagree :silly:
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

He also said in a interview with Total Guitar in 2007 that Pull The Curtain is about the paranoia he suffered when he thought his "brain was fried" from doing drugs on tour in '02. They guy used to horse off the stuff!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
RollingStone.com spoke with Sum 41 drummer Steve ‘Stevo32′ Jocz who revealed the group’s little episode in Tokyo with the liquid LSD. “We were drinking at Lexington Queen, this bar in Tokyo,” Jocz remembers. “The last time we were there, we were all high on mushrooms, because they’re legal in Japan. So this time, me and Deryck went to this head shop across the street and said, ‘Gimme the strongest thing you got.’ And he gave us four vials apiece of liquid acid. I was on my third vial before we realized what it was. There was this big poster of Scooby-Doo. We stared at it for about an hour, terrified. And everyone said, ‘Steve, go up and touch it to make sure it’s not real.’ So I went and touched it. It was just a poster, but we were so scared. Never again!”

Rollingstone.com has since removed the article.
Here's what Avril had to say about it back in 2006 when they got married.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/peopl ... th_wedding

I sort of had to laugh at the story in Tokyo. So hilarious. Can't believe I never have read it before.
I think Avril did change Deryck in a positive way. It was for his own good aswell. It does seem like Deryck's been this way for the past 2-3 years. (Which thats how long he's not been with Avril for) Now I don't know his personal life, that being said, we could be wrong about the reason as to what he's like now, but his divorce definately has to be a factor. I'm sure it's among other things.
Also, I agree about the sunglasses thing. I think it is quite rude to wear glasses when having a conversation like that with someone. When I saw them at MuchMusic yesterday, he was somewhat paying attention, but other times he wasn't and you couldn't tell what he was looking at. Steve wasn't wearing sunglasses for that interview, but earlier in the day he wore them for another (which happened to be in the sunlight, which is reasonable) I think Deryck basically just likes the fashion statement of it, which he pulls off, but it would be nice to see his eyes once and a while, haha.
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

I have never been through a divorce(thank god), so I am not going to judge the way Deryck deals with it. He stopped caring about anything and if that helps him, what can I say...
Only wish happier days for him to come

btw Deryck was clearly the best thing that happened to Avril. She looked fabulous when they started dating. Now she looks like trash most of the time.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Deryck likes the fact that you can't see his eyes. He is a naturally insecure and shy guy when face to face with someone, especially when he has to talk about the most personal thing in his life: His music.
- Stevo32

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

fergal41 wrote:He also said in a interview with Total Guitar in 2007 that Pull The Curtain is about the paranoia he suffered when he thought his "brain was fried" from doing drugs on tour in '02. They guy used to horse off the stuff!
And Angels With Dirty Faces is about how he felt like while being on drugs.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

fenderrocks wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:well i'm sure he is a nice guy, but there's not much to indicate that lately. and saying, "oh well he's drunk" is no excuse for him wearing sunglasses during the day and being all gloomy during interviews, and kinda makes my point that he needs help for me. legit, how many interviews have we watched regarding sbm? and how many video updates etc? he's drunk in at least 95% of them, and that's like 2 years worth of interviews we're talking about. he really needs help.
sadly I agree with you, seems like he's really gotten into the "darkness" and the "fuck you" of this album and has concerned me ever since 09. But its just where he is in life now, nothing we can do. And you can say its his responsibility and all, and it is, but it started with Avril, period
they were a drinking tandem I guess, I know a few drinking tandems/duos :2cool4u:
nah honestly I think she kinda stopped his habit, idk he looked better back then though she has a bunch of drunken pics from back in the day, dunno nowadays
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Deryck has been going downhill since a month or 2 after the divorce.. I couldn't imagine Sum 41 being the first thing to cross my mind when someone mentions Jack Daniels back in 2007..

I really liked his lifestyle in 2007 and you could see him having way more fun on stage than he appears to have now..

I love the picture they posted of them in Hooters... they all seemed to be (still) sober.. and just calm..

He also seems to be aging rapidly.. He still looked really young in 2009.. but started looking older during the course of that year.. but it really started getting bad when he colored his hair black..
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Deryck chats to MTV about Screaming Bloody Murder

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165708 ... rder.jhtml

Talks about some of his dark times going through this album and how it's brought him to the highest point that he didn't know existed. (Pretty ironic since we were all just discussing this)
Last edited by SumGeek on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

I think the back injury has a lot to do with how bad he looks at the moment. His posture is weak, he seems exhausted all the time because he is not physically active very much and the drinking is just a result of not feeling like doing anything else.
- Stevo32

pteargriffin
Bunkface

Post by pteargriffin »

sure they drink a lot, but they all do, they're having a good time, i guess you could find some concern in it, but idk, they're all good to me, and i dig their style and all, i dont think anyone needs to dig around acting like they know what this "downfall", they seem like they're having a good time, enjoying life, and stoked on making a record. in the mtv interview on their facebook deryck made a good point, their tours sell out all the time, they tour a lot, they love touring, with that, they can just keep going and never stop, doesn't matter what singles or albums hit high on the charts, they're just doin what they love, having fun, and seem to be real stoked on this record