Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Mitchell »

Simon wrote:To me the sound is just fine, even the Skumfuk pre-master mix. Drums are powerful and clean, guitars and vocals are in good balance and you can hear the bass pretty good. Actually I think it sounds much better than Chuck because there the drums were a bit too hifi (lots of top and bottom frequencies, almost no mids) and kind of noisy, they didn't have the even punch of real drums. DTLI seemed to be the best one from a production point of view. AKNF was overproduced with the pitched crash cymbals and shit. UH was decent, but a bit weak.

So, my audio engineer's ears are very pleased with SBM so far.
exactly.. and Steve said that they wanted to stay clear from pro tools in the making of UH so..
but I think that the weak drums and guitar in the intro are meant to be that way.. it gets pretty heavy when the rythm guitar kicks in... and I like it!
I really like the sound of the bass drum when the intro ends and the 1st verse begins.. and the vocals sound epic I like how the song has 3 different kinds of vocals.. the really soft ones in the intro and outro.. the kinda distorted vocals during the verses and the heavy ones during the chorus.. not to mention the backing vocals that sound really nice.. I like the way he 'supports' the lead vocals during 'I don't got the patience or the time' and when he stops doing that he starts doing those oooohs and aaaahs.. those sound really good and remind me of how he did those in there's no solution..
all the other backing vocals sound well placed as well..

and I like how Cone gets his moment to shine during the first verse
Jojothebatteur
First name: Jordan
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar-bass
Instrument 3: Piano-vocals

Post by Jojothebatteur »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Simon wrote:To me the sound is just fine, even the Skumfuk pre-master mix. Drums are powerful and clean, guitars and vocals are in good balance and you can hear the bass pretty good. Actually I think it sounds much better than Chuck because there the drums were a bit too hifi (lots of top and bottom frequencies, almost no mids) and kind of noisy, they didn't have the even punch of real drums. DTLI seemed to be the best one from a production point of view. AKNF was overproduced with the pitched crash cymbals and shit. UH was decent, but a bit weak.

exactly.. and Steve said that they wanted to stay clear from pro tools in the making of UH so..
but I think that the weak drums and guitar in the intro are meant to be that way.. it gets pretty heavy when the rythm guitar kicks in... and I like it!
I really like the sound of the bass drum when the intro ends and the 1st verse begins.. and the vocals sound epic I like how the song has 3 different kinds of vocals.. the really soft ones in the intro and outro.. the kinda distorted vocals during the verses and the heavy ones during the chorus.. not to mention the backing vocals that sound really nice.. I like the way he 'supports' the lead vocals during 'I don't got the patience or the time' and when he stops doing that he starts doing those oooohs and aaaahs.. those sound really good and remind me of how he did those in there's no solution..
all the other backing vocals sound well placed as well..

and I like how Cone gets his moment to shine during the first verse
For the snare, i think stevo used Brushes sticks, IMO ;)
Sum 41 Fr Translator
http://sum41-france.com/
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

That's Jerry Finn for you, i'm still pissed about how he ruined Alkaline Trios sound on Good Mourning and Crimson. Basically every record he produced sounded really over-produced, even the ones that the bands claimed would be rawer (ie. Take Off Your Pants And Jacker, Good Mourning).
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Jerry Finn was a great producer.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't know about anyone else, but the guitars on Does This Look Infected? sound really artificial to me, like really perfect. I really like No Brains live, but I don't really enjoy the recorded version for some reason. The guitar sound just bugs me.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby

Post by UltraKolby »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but the guitars on Does This Look Infected? sound really artificial to me, like really perfect. I really like No Brains live, but I don't really enjoy the recorded version for some reason. The guitar sound just bugs me.
Exactly what I always thought! 'No Brains' guitar just doesn't sound right. To me, its sounds like they recorded the guitar part in a box, don't know why it remembers me of that but it does.
P.S - (Not a guitar expert)
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

album leak plz
fuck this signature nonsense
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Gregorovich wrote:album leak plz
hell no.

btw. noticed that guitar in No Brains too.
Last edited by gejmik on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but the guitars on Does This Look Infected? sound really artificial to me, like really perfect. I really like No Brains live, but I don't really enjoy the recorded version for some reason. The guitar sound just bugs me.
I remember reading in an interview in 2002 and then seeing it in a video, when they were in the studio recording Does This Look Infected? they took ridiculous measures to make sure the guitars were tight; taping and snipping off the high strings and using like tube compressors or something extreme on the guitar tracks before the mix.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil

Post by Emil »

Yeah, one thing that always bugged me was wether the ocatves in the chorus on Still Waiting was ther on the record or just something that Dave added on live, i really had to concentrate to hear that part on the record, to me it's just a wall of sound.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

Me too! Or I want some info about the listening party
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Most Anticipated Albums For 2011
Meanwhile, pop-punk stars Sum 41 look set to return for the first time in three years with Screaming Bloody Murder. They faded a bit in recent years, and admittedly I don’t own an album by them. However, after hearing two of their new tracks, I’m definitely tempted. ‘Always’, released as part of their greatest hits-type collection All The Good S*** a couple of years ago, is a great track, boasting a matured sound.

Similarly, the title track from the upcoming album sounds fantastic. If the rest of the album follows the grittier, more radio-rock style, then Screaming Bloody Murder could save Sum 41’s mainstream career. This could be the beginning of Sum 41 becoming huge again, and I’m hoping I won’t be disappointed.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

my friend, who don't listen to Sum 41 and don't like any record checked Skumfuk and SBM a few days ago and he loves it! and it even made him to get Chuck and DTLI following. I believe that SBM is going to be the best record so far.
Last edited by gejmik on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

fenderrocks wrote:Most Anticipated Albums For 2011
Meanwhile, pop-punk stars Sum 41 look set to return for the first time in three years with Screaming Bloody Murder. They faded a bit in recent years, and admittedly I don’t own an album by them. However, after hearing two of their new tracks, I’m definitely tempted. ‘Always’, released as part of their greatest hits-type collection All The Good S*** a couple of years ago, is a great track, boasting a matured sound.

Similarly, the title track from the upcoming album sounds fantastic. If the rest of the album follows the grittier, more radio-rock style, then Screaming Bloody Murder could save Sum 41’s mainstream career. This could be the beginning of Sum 41 becoming huge again, and I’m hoping I won’t be disappointed.
Sum 41 becoming huge again? Hell yeah! But kill the Justin Bieber posers first :D

I'm fine with that. Though i liked the sound in their first 2009 studio clip and i hope it to be as intense and heavy on the album in one of the songs. Btw, how many b-sides could it become on this album? Currently it looks like thousands of bsides.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

gejmik wrote:
hell no.

THANK YOU!! glad i'm not the only one that noticed that in 'no brains' live either. also, i think they touched up part of the breakdown like where it sounds as if the drums just completely stop and then start up again a couple times. i'm pretty sure they touched that stuff up in the studio and that it wasn't totally live.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

according to Sum 41 bandaids some guy describe the experience of Listening Party, he described some songs or something like the lyrics but apparently Screaming Bloody Murder have 14 songs and apparently "Sick of Everyone" is a song on the album. This is the guy. http://myg8escape.jugem.jp/?eid=50
omgadam
First name: Adam

Post by omgadam »

dbauer91 wrote:
gejmik wrote:
hell no.

THANK YOU!! glad i'm not the only one that noticed that in 'no brains' live either. also, i think they touched up part of the breakdown like where it sounds as if the drums just completely stop and then start up again a couple times. i'm pretty sure they touched that stuff up in the studio and that it wasn't totally live.
I absolutely LOVE No Brains live on Go Chuck Yourself, the sweet breakdown/guitar/idkwhattocallit right before the part where D goes "you speak for all of us when..." . Plus the guitars sound way heavier in the live version to me

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

some stuff from the release party is popping up on twitter (got this from another site..btw) Dunno if it's credible, especially with the translation, but thought I'd post anyways
yume_said
saw deryck from @sum41 !! even i could touch him!new record is the sum's..well love it!my question made a laugh:)yay!love the band.

my blog about sum 41's 視聴会 http://t.co/tbWBolT plz check it out!x
google translation:
41 deryck sum of participation has been saying new album screaming bloody murder watch meeting:]
I first kanji Flow endless pv. Mireta fun from the big screen.

Appeared late in traffic deryck <333
So far I have my way in that Summer Sonic 1m ago: O
My column at about 3 deryck see how it was just a good impetus to the hair.
← cute with black hair to see how I'm wearing a hat s been deeply want ー Bomber
Excuse me sexy thumps ← pretend that immediately. I had to smile in the face!
deryck's cousin suicidal people wearing caps guess I was crazy or it takes place and the fans.
Heck per light so I put the sunglasses ..:// deryck
So was it the dazzling butterfly!

Committee heard screaming bloody murder deryck questions start.
well, he says the album new 'i dont know what i wrote.it was just flooding in my head and wrote down.' and I do not cover much.
When asked after the sum of suggestions like a copy of 'they are all easy songs.we can play our music, you can play it.' I guess. There is
from the five fan? given the right to hear the question.
I was a last one; D end 'What do you like Japanese?' I asked 'I only know one, my big switch Yes Yes Chi' to say deryck's staff is also bitter w
It had been blowing the whistle universal ← Someone said it was good grosbeak
deryck 10 minutes were real? Went away from going to Osaka.
'Thank you for coming today' just because. I also ran it at the end everyone
← forcibly touched his hand

I remember I liked the song is 'sick of everyone' 'baby you dont wanna know' 'back to where i belong' 'jessica kill' '~ out of hell (see song)' in a total of 14 songs , I thought that was fine as well in all three songs are good!
emotional lyrics that tend to, that so many can relate too: D

I must get <33 sum'll grin like the album I guess.

got em.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Interesting! "Baby You Don't Wanna Know" sounds kind of out of character to me for Sum 41 and Deryck though, haha. Then again, so did the lyric, "I'm over you, congratulations."
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

back to where I belong and out of hell are pretty interesting ...so he finally got out of the perfect hell from Angels with Dirty Faces ? :silly:
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge