Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

punkbizzy
Bunkface
First name: Tiago

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by punkbizzy »

Did someone saw the honors the song already won on the official youtube video? (show statistics) crazy!!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Lars wrote:
Cone wrote:We are working out the art work now. Still up in the air.
Thank god. I didn't think they could give us something as simple as that! Definately suits the single though.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Do you think that we will have more news after the "listening party" in Japan? Like tracklist or something?
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Cone just confirmed me it is BROWN TOM on the cover and it's the cover of the single, album will have different cover.
Last edited by gejmik on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

gejmik wrote:Cone just confirmed me it is BROWN TOM on the cover and it's the cover of the single, album will have different cover.
Nice! :glad:
Go Tom!
gejmik
Chuck

Post by gejmik »

so that wedding ring.. I don't know, maybe to confuse us :devious:. I kept saying it is Tom :D
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

glad that’s not the album cover.
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

gejmik wrote:so that wedding ring.. I don't know, maybe to confuse us :devious:. I kept saying it is Tom :D
I have no idea about the ring, just glad it's not the album cover...didn't want to look at that every time I played it, which will be A LOT :winkwink:
gejmik
Chuck

Post by gejmik »

fenderrocks wrote:
gejmik wrote:so that wedding ring.. I don't know, maybe to confuse us :devious:. I kept saying it is Tom :D
I have no idea about the ring, just glad it's not the album cover...didn't want to look at that every time I played it, which will be A LOT :winkwink:
true, true
http://www.theresnosolution.com/SBM/sbm_tns.jpg - here, on the left hand.

anyway.. pretty cool that the guy who should have been just touring guitarist is now on the cover for the single :D. He fits in the band very well.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Well, doesn't mean it his ring or whatever. He could wear it just for the photoshoot for the single cover or whatever, though it looks like a shot of him passed out while dressing up in that nurse suit he was dressing up during Warped Tour, so I guess this photo for the single wasn't planned or anything, just a photo of him they decided to use (and make all dark and shit).
gejmik
Chuck

Post by gejmik »

Hentaiman wrote:..I guess this photo for the single wasn't planned or anything, just a photo of him they decided to use (and make all dark and shit).
that's what I think. this is from Warped Tour for sure. Tom was about to pass out in every update from WT :devious:
Last edited by gejmik on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

May be he and his girl got engaged. Or does the dude not wear a ring until the wedding? Well, as you can see I'm very much a relationship pro.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Pretty fitting that the co-writer of the song gets to be on the single cover!
ctoan

Post by ctoan »

SBM is an okay song and all but for some reason I don't the quality of the recording because the guitars sound weak like UH as well as the drums. Does this have anything to do with the production?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

ctoan wrote:SBM is an okay song and all but for some reason I don't the quality of the recording because the guitars sound weak like UH as well as the drums. Does this have anything to do with the production?
Probably. Deryck wanted the album to sound just like a band having a jam session and no over-production or polish to the songs. I remember watching a studio update (I forget which one) where he says the songs are perfect, but he would like them to sound "looser".

I like the sound quality of Screaming Bloody Murder. I find it's still heavier sounding than Underclass Hero. I agree with the drums sounding weak - especially at the start, though I've kind of gotten used to it from listening to the song so much.
ctoan

Post by ctoan »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
ctoan wrote:SBM is an okay song and all but for some reason I don't the quality of the recording because the guitars sound weak like UH as well as the drums. Does this have anything to do with the production?
Probably. Deryck wanted the album to sound just like a band having a jam session and no over-production or polish to the songs. I remember watching a studio update (I forget which one) where he says the songs are perfect, but he would like them to sound "looser".

I like the sound quality of Screaming Bloody Murder. I find it's still heavier sounding than Underclass Hero. I agree with the drums sounding weak - especially at the start, though I've kind of gotten used to it from listening to the song so much.
I have nothing against a more raw unpolished sound, I actually prefer it. It's just that it lacks that "beefy" sound like in chuck. I don't want or expect their records to be too perfect and way over-polished production wise.

I'm also glad that they don't try too hard to be "original" by using synthesizers and computer electronic sounds. People seem to think that it's the only way to be "original" these days but I don't think it's original at all because so many bands/artists use those these days, I'm not a fan of it. Rock music should be about the band playing and not relying on computers.
omgadam
First name: Adam

Post by omgadam »

ctoan wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:

I have nothing against a more raw unpolished sound, I actually prefer it. It's just that it lacks that "beefy" sound like in chuck. I don't want or expect their records to be too perfect and way over-polished production wise.

I'm also glad that they don't try too hard to be "original" by using synthesizers and computer electronic sounds. People seem to think that it's the only way to be "original" these days but I don't think it's original at all because so many bands/artists use those these days, I'm not a fan of it. Rock music should be about the band playing and not relying on computers.
Agreed about not using computers, but I think that the rythym guitar sounds pretty damn heavy in SBM when it joins the lead. The drumming also happens to make the chorus for me, dunno why it just feels good lol.

182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Actually you almost use computers evrytime... All songs are made with Pro Tools which is a computer software, it'sthe industry standard. I really like the sound of sbm, the intro drums could have been more "fat", but I think the rest is pretty cool !
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

To me the sound is just fine, even the Skumfuk pre-master mix. Drums are powerful and clean, guitars and vocals are in good balance and you can hear the bass pretty good. Actually I think it sounds much better than Chuck because there the drums were a bit too hifi (lots of top and bottom frequencies, almost no mids) and kind of noisy, they didn't have the even punch of real drums. DTLI seemed to be the best one from a production point of view. AKNF was overproduced with the pitched crash cymbals and shit. UH was decent, but a bit weak.

So, my audio engineer's ears are very pleased with SBM so far.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
omgadam
First name: Adam

Post by omgadam »

182sins wrote:Actually you almost use computers evrytime... All songs are made with Pro Tools which is a computer software, it'sthe industry standard. I really like the sound of sbm, the intro drums could have been more "fat", but I think the rest is pretty cool !
By computers I mean like a ton of synth derived sounds, like Angels and Airwaves. I love AvA, but I don't want that stuff in most of the other music I listen too, AvA is like a vacation :silly: lol