Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Simon »

As much as I love Deryck and his music, I don't see him up there (yet). In fact, that is what makes me like his music so much. He is not some superhuman musical genius which a lot of the greatest songwriters/composers in history are/were.

This may sound really cocky and stupid, but I honestly believe I could write the music he writes if I just spent the same amount of time on it. But unlike myself, he actually does it and did it since he was about 15 while I have still only done a few songs in my entire life and not properly finished and recorded one of them. He managed to capture and direct his creativity and that's what makes all the difference for me.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

lyrically, d's nothing special at all, but that doesn't mean i still don't really like his songs, cuz i do. but the main thing i like about the sums is their MUSIC. i do admire that d writes the band's lyrics AND music (i do the same), but i definitely wouldn't say he's the greatest songwriter ever. i mean, we're talking hundreds of years of composers - from beethoven and mozart to lennon and mccartney all the way up to deryck. he's not the greatest ever, but is still a great songwriter whose music i DO enjoy (unlike some of you think; i'm just more realistic about putting his songs into perspective in the grand scheme of things).
Pocket Monkey
First name: David

Post by Pocket Monkey »

dbauer91 wrote:lyrically, d's nothing special at all, but that doesn't mean i still don't really like his songs, cuz i do. but the main thing i like about the sums is their MUSIC. i do admire that d writes the band's lyrics AND music (i do the same), but i definitely wouldn't say he's the greatest songwriter ever. i mean, we're talking hundreds of years of composers - from beethoven and mozart to lennon and mccartney all the way up to deryck. he's not the greatest ever, but is still a great songwriter whose music i DO enjoy (unlike some of you think; i'm just more realistic about putting his songs into perspective in the grand scheme of things).
I can agree with part of that. Music in general, people wouldn't consider Deryck wouldn't be very high at all. I mean he would be if we were talking strictly Punk music. But the best songwriter is based upon the listener, maybe Deryck's music can speak too someone better then Lennon's could could and vice versa. So i guess there is no 'best' song writer, its all opinion.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

DW_60 wrote:As of March 23, 2011, release date of the new album in Japan, will be available in addition to the CD a DVD containing the 2010 Japanese tour and a video of behind the scenes on the production of the single released a few days "Screaming Bloody Murder. " To buy the DVD click HERE http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICL-9098

Sum 41 France & MoreSum41
Don't really trust ordering anything without a photo and what not, but this seems pretty awesome! Want.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Pocket Monkey wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:lyrically, d's nothing special at all, but that doesn't mean i still don't really like his songs, cuz i do. but the main thing i like about the sums is their MUSIC. i do admire that d writes the band's lyrics AND music (i do the same), but i definitely wouldn't say he's the greatest songwriter ever. i mean, we're talking hundreds of years of composers - from beethoven and mozart to lennon and mccartney all the way up to deryck. he's not the greatest ever, but is still a great songwriter whose music i DO enjoy (unlike some of you think; i'm just more realistic about putting his songs into perspective in the grand scheme of things).
I can agree with part of that. Music in general, people wouldn't consider Deryck wouldn't be very high at all. I mean he would be if we were talking strictly Punk music. But the best songwriter is based upon the listener, maybe Deryck's music can speak too someone better then Lennon's could could and vice versa. So i guess there is no 'best' song writer, its all opinion.
This.

(Sorry for double posting. Would delete it if I could.)
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

I've been gone for about a week for a ski competition and don't feel like reading 60 pages, can someone get me up too speed i realize that the song "Screaming bloody murder" was released, and that the release date for the album might be March 23.
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
Pocket Monkey
First name: David

Post by Pocket Monkey »

RileSum wrote:I've been gone for about a week for a ski competition and don't feel like reading 60 pages, can someone get me up too speed i realize that the song "Screaming bloody murder" was released, and that the release date for the album might be March 23.
Well, i had nothing to do so i did :devious:
1. Single came
2. Everyone jizzed themselves
3. They argued about Underclass Hero
4. Sum 41 gave us an mp3
5. An official release date was announced(March 29th)
6. We talked about Derycks song writing abilities
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

if you're talking about songwriting, tom delonge and blink-182 as a whole (tom before he went to AVA) were probably the best song writers ever. (this is in my opinion of course) but critics and even blink haters would almost be forced to agree that their stuff just works, better than most. deryck doesn't seem extremely special to me, but he's definitely great.

and yeah, like someone said before, there isn't really any "best" songwriter. there's a bunch of awesome ones out there that deserve to be listened to
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Pocket Monkey wrote:
RileSum wrote:I've been gone for about a week for a ski competition and don't feel like reading 60 pages, can someone get me up too speed i realize that the song "Screaming bloody murder" was released, and that the release date for the album might be March 23.
1. Single came
4. Sum 41 gave us an mp3
7. the album leaked and there were no new posts on the forum becuase everybody had gone into cardiac arrest within seconds of hearing it.
fuck this signature nonsense
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Blink 182 best songwriters, that's a good one. I know you said it's your opinion, but seriously... I like Blink a lot, they have made many great, fun songs and a few well written serious songs, but best songwriters ever? No, just no way.

Btw. did you guys read this? @Sum41: We should probably choose a cover soon

It was on their twitter a few days ago. I guess that means we've only seen the single cover so far.
- Stevo32

Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Simon wrote:Blink 182 best songwriters, that's a good one. I know you said it's your opinion, but seriously... I like Blink a lot, they have made many great, fun songs and a few well written serious songs, but best songwriters ever? No, just no way.

Btw. did you guys read this? @Sum41: We should probably choose a cover soon

It was on their twitter a few days ago. I guess that means we've only seen the single cover so far.
best songwriting doesn't mean that the songs have to have some great deep meaning or crazy complexity to them. like i said, out of every band i find that blink songs work a lot better. they don't seem over done with riffs or drum fills etc, they don't seem underdone and boring. some of the lyrics are great (moreso in the later albums) but none of them when listened to feel totally shit like a lot of pop punk. like i don't mind UH but when i listen to the lyrics it makes me cringe sometimes, i guess just not my type.
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

Pocket Monkey wrote:
1. Single came
4. Sum 41 gave us an mp3
Thanks! And to the song writing abilities thing, theres no such thing as the "best song writer", it just means that more people can relate to the words and meanings of songs better than others. And when the song writer becomes popular they just asume there the best when really it's about how the writing effects you.
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
ctoan

Post by ctoan »

Are we still gonna get the 12-min song or was that just all talk and no show?
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

ctoan wrote:Are we still gonna get the 12-min song or was that just all talk and no show?
Don't think the record company was up for it but a single is good enough for right now.
[donate][/donate]
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
ctoan wrote:Are we still gonna get the 12-min song or was that just all talk and no show?
Don't think the record company was up for it but a single is good enough for right now.
Yeah. Also, it would've been nice to get the song sometime last year, but now there's only 2 months till the album release, so I don't see the point of releasing another song to promote the album.
ctoan

Post by ctoan »

Oh and another thing, there's these people around saying that SBM sounds like MCR. They called it a rip-off of MCR's style. I find that laughable because it sounds nothing like them at all.

Does anyone agree with these idiots?
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

If anything, I'd say it sounds a bit like Jimmy Eat World because of the verses. But other than that I don't really have anything to compare it to, at least not from the top of my head.
- Stevo32

Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

the chorus really reminds me of an MCR song, just the vocal line i think. i need to listen to the black parade again to figure out which one it is. but otherwise it's not really MCR at all. skumfuck sort of was, vocals sounded more like it. but still its just generic sort of alternative punk/rock sort of thing so it's not ripping off anything
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

SumGeek wrote:
DW_60 wrote:As of March 23, 2011, release date of the new album in Japan, will be available in addition to the CD a DVD containing the 2010 Japanese tour and a video of behind the scenes on the production of the single released a few days "Screaming Bloody Murder. " To buy the DVD click HERE http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICL-9098

Don't really trust ordering anything without a photo and what not, but this seems pretty awesome! Want.
Just bought it from CDJapan, I heard many good things about thie website, guess you can order it without any risks
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

182sins wrote:
SumGeek wrote:

Just bought it from CDJapan, I heard many good things about thie website, guess you can order it without any risks
I'm probably going to pre-order it there as well.. if I select the fastest shiping method I will have the copy in my hands on March 26th