Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Zell1010
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Zell1010 »

Lars wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote::2cool4u: we're just great ...or just addicted to PC's
Or to jizz around, who knows? :glad:
I think both :devious:
Shelley41
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Shelley

Post by Shelley41 »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Fifth album release from SUM 41 for the first time in three and a half years. This edition includes a bonus DVD with a music video "Screaming Bloody Murder," its making-of, documentary about them visiting Japan in 2010, and more (subject to change). *Advanced Japanese release (subject to change). *Unless otherwise indicated, DVDs are region-2 encoded (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and carry no subtitles.

Bonus Track: Japan edition bonus track (subject to change)
(All product details, including availability, images, language(s), special features, and bonus extras, are subject to change without prior notice. Actual item weight may be different from the one indicated above.)
I might order that one..

SARAH IS MY WIFE. DEAL WITH IT.
http://therearetoomanyurlstaken.tumblr.com/
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I'm really starting to like the backing vocals in this song, especially in the beginning especially the ones at 1min
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

That's the cool thing about SBM (the whole album) probably.

Listening to it for like one hundred times and still discovering new tiny little things.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Lars wrote:That's the cool thing about SBM (the whole album) probably.

Listening to it for like one hundred times and still discovering new tiny little things.
Actually, it's the same for all the albums to me. :glad:

Can't remember which song it was, but I found something new from a Chuck song less than a month ago. Seems that listening to a song for 6 years straight doesn't equal to knowing a song completely.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

fenderrocks wrote:I'm really starting to like the backing vocals in this song, especially in the beginning especially the ones at 1min
The backing vocals starting at 0:51 up to the chorus are amazing!
Heather

Post by Heather »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:I'm really starting to like the backing vocals in this song, especially in the beginning especially the ones at 1min
yeah thats the part I'm talking about, really love the 1min mark when it goes high. And like Tomi said, there is always somethign to find in their albums, one reason I really love PTC, full of "hidden" vocals and instruments
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

anyone know when the fuck we can expect a tracklisting or music video for sbm?
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
yeah thats the part I'm talking about, really love the 1min mark when it goes high. And like Tomi said, there is always somethign to find in their albums, one reason I really love PTC, full of "hidden" vocals and instruments
Exactly. I just can't describe how much I love Deryck's songwriting skills, especially the backing/hidden vocals. I haven't find another band that have such songs full of depth.
For example, two sets of backing vocals in No Brains and Pull The Curtain, I haven't found anything similar from any other band. Also, backing vocals that don't match the main vocals, for example in Open Your Eyes or Speak Of The Devil.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I can't stand people who say Deryck is ripping songs from, for example, Billie Joe. I'm a fan of Green Day's too, and I've listened to all of their songs hundreds of times, yet I haven't discovered any "hidden things", and all the backing vocals are so plain, if they even have any.

I don't know, maybe the point of this post was to say that I love Deryck's songwriting skills, and he really is the best songwriter I know.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
The part where he 'supports' the lead vocals stood out to me the very first time I heard the song.. the ooohh's and aaah's are a great addition to the song.. I like how he did that in there's no solution too
Heather

Post by Heather »

TomiT14 wrote: Exactly. I just can't describe how much I love Deryck's songwriting skills, especially the backing/hidden vocals. I haven't find another band that have such songs full of depth.
For example, two sets of backing vocals in No Brains and Pull The Curtain, I haven't found anything similar from any other band. Also, backing vocals that don't match the main vocals, for example in Open Your Eyes or Speak Of The Devil.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I can't stand people who say Deryck is ripping songs from, for example, Billie Joe. I'm a fan of Green Day's too, and I've listened to all of their songs hundreds of times, yet I haven't discovered any "hidden things", and all the backing vocals are so plain, if they even have any.

I don't know, maybe the point of this post was to say that I love Deryck's songwriting skills, and he really is the best songwriter I know.
to me the only one that comes close is KT Tunstall, her backing vocals are AMAZING and she uses very interesting an unique instruments (she can play like 10 things). Her lyrics are also very well written and intriguing. I listen to greenday as well, but get bored and don't listen for months, unlike Sum41 and KT which I interchange daily..so too each their own, I don't want to start a fight with any GD fans..lol

if you want to check her new album
http://www.kttunstall.com/music/album/? ... ger%20Suit
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
Exactly. I just can't describe how much I love Deryck's songwriting skills, especially the backing/hidden vocals. I haven't find another band that have such songs full of depth.

You're totally right, and yes i think he is also the best songwriter i could ever know.
People who say he is ripping others are probably rippers themselves.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

FakeNinja wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:

You're totally right, and yes i think he is also the best songwriter i could ever know.
i'm sorry, i'm a fan of the sums too but there's zero chance that deryck whibley is the greatest songwriter ever. chris martin (coldplay), noel gallagher (oasis), and brad nowell (sublime) come to mind as better and that was just off the top of my head.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

dbauer91 wrote:
FakeNinja wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:

i'm sorry, i'm a fan of the sums too but there's zero chance that deryck whibley is the greatest songwriter ever. chris martin (coldplay), noel gallagher (oasis), and brad nowell (sublime) come to mind as better and that was just off the top of my head.
It all comes down to opinions.. so please stop those annoying opinion based posts contradicting anything positive that people have to say about Sum 41
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

I agree that there are lots of better songwriters than D, but I personally like his music the best because I can very much relate to his way of thinking/writing songs no matter how good the songwriting actually is. Also, the ratio of the number of Sum 41 songs that I like to the songs that I don't care about, is much higher than any other artist I listen to - probably around 80%, while for others it's anywhere between 1% and 50%.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

dbauer91 wrote:
FakeNinja wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:Exactly. I just can't describe how much I love Deryck's songwriting skills, especially the backing/hidden vocals. I haven't find another band that have such songs full of depth.

Let me say this again.
TomiT14 wrote:I love Deryck's songwriting skills, and he really is the best songwriter I know.
I'm not saying he is the best one based on facts. I said he's the best one in my opinion.
I was going to say something more detailed, but I'm tired of explaining myself and telling the difference between the words "fact" and "opinion" all over again.

Also, I don't understand this:
dbauer91 wrote:i'm sorry, i'm a fan of the sums too but there's zero chance that deryck whibley is the greatest songwriter ever.
Zero chance? Really? And you call yourself a fan? How can you be a fan of a band that you think has an absolute zero (0) chance for great songwriting? I'm not even a fan of Oasis or Coldplay at all, but I still think Gallagher and Martin have a decent chance to be one of the greatest songwriters.

Simon wrote:I agree that there are lots of better songwriters than D, but I personally like his music the best because I can very much relate to his way of thinking/writing songs no matter how good the songwriting actually is. Also, the ratio of the number of Sum 41 songs that I like to the songs that I don't care about, is much higher than any other artist I listen to - probably around 80%, while for others it's anywhere between 1% and 50%.
Great words. Couldn't have put it out better myself.
41ariley
Bunkface
First name: Alex

Post by 41ariley »

dbauer91 wrote:
FakeNinja wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:

I hope you were joking when you said chris martin, I mustn't of read right.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Most definately not. Chris Martin is without a doubt one of the most impressive songwriters ever. Even if you are anti-pop, you have to acknowledge that.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Pocket Monkey
First name: David

Post by Pocket Monkey »

41ariley wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:
FakeNinja wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:

I hope you were joking when you said chris martin, I mustn't of read right.
No, i think Deryck is waaaaay up there with the best, a lot of people disregard him because he is known as "That guy in the band that made All Killer No Filler" and they aren't unbelievably famous, if Sum 41 was as big as, say, Lady Gaga everybody would be saying Deryck is the best songwriter ever. A lot of what Deryck writes now at days is very intelligent and it comes from him and his band mates, not producers or people they hire to do it for them. He can be straight forward or he can make you think a little without making it too complicated. When an artist or band writes something nobody understands, people think that is revolutionary writing, but thats not the case, it does not make them amazing songwriters

PS. i say Trent Reznor is the best songwriter ever...
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

I believe there isn't a 'best songwriter', there is just a bunch of awesome songwriters. Deryck is an awesome songwriter but I think most of his talent in songwriting comes from experience. He is 30 years old, always on the road, got marryed and divorce, drinks a little too much, hardly ever sober, and travels around the world almost every year.