Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Rock Zone Full Interview

Post by Heather »

Got a tweet from TNS Spanish that they had the full interview..haha

google translated

Image Image

Image Image

The world in general and music in particular, is increasingly unpredictable. When it was announced a few months ago to head the Esastpak Sum 14 Antidote Tour, some doubted that the group had enough pull to fill the Razzmatazz in Barcelona, where it was to hold the concert. At the end of the day, its golden days of singles like "Fat Lip" or "Still Waiting" fell far short, with the departure of guitarist Dave Baksh had lost one of its key players and their latest album, Underclass Hero, released in July 2007 had been a fiasco at the commercial level. But what no one could imagine is that the tickets sold out in just ten days and at the end, more than 4,000 people came to see you at the new location of the show: the Sant Jordi Club. Worldwide, the organization, the sponsor, their label, the press, seems surprised, even striking us the long tail that afternoon and borders the flag. Everyone, except Deryck Whibley (vocals, guitar) and Steve Jocz (drums), whom we meet in her dressing room for the interview, meanwhile, Jacson McCaslin (bass) and new guitarist, Tom Thacker (also from the Canadian Gob) are floating around.

Although they say be very happy with the response of his Spanish fans, it seems that he does not want to give too much importance to the success of call, like so many people gather outside world as normal. Canada may be so, but looking around the local play list is this European tour allows you to check it today is an exception. Without reaching the arrogance, the tone of the two musicians themselves as indicative of sobradez. Instead of saying to hallucinate that there are still people who remember them or that some groups cite as a reference, Deryck and Steve talk with the same proficiency as if they were Green Day or Blink-182 and had been an Underclass Hero phenomenon in the style of American Idiot. So it is better that his next album, which have already announced they will be called Screaming Bloody Murder, is really good and they remain at this level, because if they have to rely on the delivery to demonstrate a few hours later on stage with him a bit complicated. The day this type of band (starting with Green Day) to realize that eliminating half the nonsense they do in their concerts would be much better, will be celebrated.

What does it feel to come play for the first time in a city that has 4,000 people?
Steve Jocz - "We played in Madrid, but here is the first time. It's fantastic, we are delighted. All of this tour is going very well."

Displaying the queue already waiting outside, there were many kids of 15, 16, 17. Is it strange I get old you, but do not do your audience?
Deryck Whibley - "Yes, most are young, but there are also some older."
Steve - "These kids were 5 years old when he left 'Fat Lip', so at some point became older and found this group. I like the band, believe in the group and go crazy at concerts. That means something works because it is regenerating fan base. "
DERYCKE - "I think the music speaks for itself and they decide if they like it or not. And they seem to like."

Do you keep young people have a young audience?
STEVE - "I do not know. I think what keeps you young is the way of life we have because of that audience."

I guess over the years of you will have met with fans who have been screaming or just to see you mourn. Have you ever reacted well to a musician or you've been having queued for eight hours a concert?
DERYCKE - "Maybe when I was a teenager, 14 or 15 years if he had queued for hours, but I was never one of those crazy fans who earns crazy about meeting their idols."
STEVE - "We have met once with musicians who are very respectful and really cool to know us, but we were able to not lose their composure (laughs). Doing this lets you know or know half enough people like to be able to maintain a normal conversation. There are also people who try to avoid, because if you happen to be a jerk, it would be a wreck. There are people who have decided not know, but usually, everyone pretty cool, luckily . I guess it's like in many aspects of life that has everything. "

In short you have to release a new album. Are you completely finished?
DERYCKE - "Yes, it is. Should be released early this year. We do not know exactly when, because we are hoping that the label put the batteries. We've already done our part, we have already delivered. So it's thing of them. "

At first, Gil Norton was going to be the producer, right?
STEVE - "If we start with him, but just not working.'s A great guy, but ...".
DERYCKE - "It's a great producer, but when you have a way of doing things, it is difficult to integrate an outsider."
STEVE - "For us it is easier to do things ourselves, without intermediaries. Although Gil is great, our method did not work."
DERYCKE - "We have a dictator in (laughs)."

How would you describe the new album?
STEVE - "It's amazing (laughs). We are very happy with it. It's an eclectic album."
DERYCKE - "It's hard to talk about music because it is something that must be heard. But overall, I think is a bit more like what we did before, a mixture of punk and metal, but in a way we have not done before and we have not heard done before. We believe that is what we do best. "

Many people saw as the metalhead Dave Baksh of the group. As you say, it was perhaps not completely so ...
STEVE - "Dave liked the metal that he just likes to metalheads. We like the metal that should be liked by everyone: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest ... He liked that too, ment went further. Hence the confusion. "

Tom Thacker Has helped in the composition?
DERYCKE - "We have written a song together, which will give title track," Screaming Bloody Muderder ', I like it. I think we will do more in the future together, but here there is only one. "

Your latest album, Underclass Hero, was more serious and mature. How do you now?
DERYCKE - "On this album we just try to write good songs without thinking of a particular style. He drew heavily on the composition. The new disc does not stop at anything to that, but at the same time, we would not have done this album without Underclass Hero. "
STEVE - "I think all our albums are different. Perhaps this has in common with Does It Look Infected? And Chuck, but does not sound like that. The musicianship and compositions are much more advanced. We always like to try new hoes."

Have spent three years between studio albums. Had you wanted to go away somewhat from the limelight?
DERYCKE - "Do not think about it. Just do what seems natural. I do not think that was so long, I happened very quickly."
STEVE - "We turn over a year and then had personal things. Cone and I were married, not each other (laughs), but it takes time."
DERYCKE - "We needed a few years off."
STEVE - "We had about seven years on the road. We needed to rest."

Deryck, in the last few years you become a target for paparazzi. How have you been?
DERYCKE - "I do not care too much. It has not been that bad. I have not been bothered too much, not after me so often. There are other people who suffer much more than me."

Now that you have 30 years, can be a bond be Sum 41, and people expect certain things from you? Have you never wanted to leave behind the pop punk?
DERYCKE - "Do not worry us at all. Each album sounds so different from the above that we have been able to avoid that."
STEVE - "I think people expect us to do new things. We're not like AC / DC, whom I love, but make the same album every time, you have based their sound and every song on it. We also have a sound, but you can try different things. Our influences are so diverse that we can do anything, even on the new album is very cohesive, remains different. I think that as a group is lucky to have that possibility. "

Remember how far the success of All Killer No Filler? Were you prepared for such a success?
STEVE - "Of course we were ready (laughs). It just happened. It was a surprise, but we had fun, now is another kind of success, make great dates, vedemos all entries, with no disk left. It is very exciting also have the same feeling now than we had ten years ago. "

In many interviews at that time spoke only of sucking, drinking, parties ... Are they a thing of the past?
STEVE - "Can you leave the threesome in the past (laughs)."

Well, maybe as a daily ...
STEVE - "What?" I do not know, I do not ever get tired of feeds. But I'm married, so I limit myself to that kind of sucks. But it remains a great blowjob (laughs). I do not know. You make the question, man, and we respond. I guess at that time, someone asked us if we liked the Muhammad and said it clear that those who do not. "

When you arise are considered part of the new generation of pop punk. Now there are groups that you quote reference. Do you think you've had a real impact on the scene?
STEVE - "Again, not think about it, but in the last two years we've had groups told us that our fans were great and made our versions. Mola, but the truth is that neither pay much attention. It's nice , clear. "

But I surprised?
STEVE - "Do not think about it ...".
DERYCKE - "We never thought about it ...".
STEVE - "... So when it happens, I guess ... yes, we are surprised (laughs). I'm surprised!".

We say this because when you came out for the videos and so many people I felt a kind of joke. Perhaps in time you have proven that you were not.
DERYCKE - "I think if people keep watching the concert is not a video of the last ten years is because the music speaks for itself. That's what happened."

What music or formations have been listening and has inspired you recently?
STEVE - "We hear a lot of the Stones, Faces, Elvis Costello, Queen ... New Groups like that (laughs)."

When you hear one of their classic albums, do you think you still needs to be done?
DERYCKE - "You can not garba disc thinking it will be a classic or try to make a classic. It is impossible.
STEVE - "not in your hands ...".
DERYCKE - "It has to do with the time going out and over time it will fly. You can not plan to be a John Lennon. You gotta do what you know and eventually it works or not."

But maybe for some people you and of you are classic ...
DERYCKE - "We make music, recorded it and went on tour. Hopefully you've improved over time and there are people who still want to see. I guess for some of the kids who come to see us do something great for them, but not I know ...".
STEVE - "For some kids can be the first step or the second, they may stay there or find out things. I am sure that we have had an impact on the lives of some guys and it's great, I hope for all this. Mola there are people who still want to see. "

Now that sold millions of records simply by having a hit, "makes you appreciate more what you lived in the past?
DERYCKE - "We were lucky, yes. We could buy our house (laughs)."
STEVE - "But there is another way to look at. Now we do not sell millions even taking a hit, but clearly no longer occur, we still operate the tours. And that is what matters most. The gold discs are amazing, but could come primeva Barcelona through time and tow up to 4,000 people is unbelievable. "

Which no one expected to fetch disk or that you have a hit, do you have more freedom when recording?
DERYCKE - "Well, there's less pressure. There is more to record a hit because that's all they want. It is a business based on the singles."
STEVE - "Now nobody wants to take risks with something that is out of the ordinary. There is no patience to support something for two months to see if it explodes. It has to be something generic, bland, predictable ...".
DERYCKE - "If the song does not take off immediately, radio stations make it stop. Do not wait a month: two weeks if you have not gone up, it's over."
STEVE - "But with Internet channels such YouTube, MySpace, Twitter ... at least you have something you can control if everyone leaves you and have an impact."

Speaking of social networks, many fans seem to expect the musicians wait for their disposal 24 hours a day. Do you feel a little overwhelmed at times?
STEVE - "We have always done those things, the only thing is that it is now easier. We had a fucking web in 1997 when internet started, and we jump for it. It was a pretty good website.
DERYCKE - "We have always interacted with the fans."
STEVE - "We see it as something positive, not as an invasion of privacy."
DERYCKE - "There are many dead hours when you're on tour."

You have a certain feeling of revenge with the new album. We imagine that in recent years as you will have heard someone from the label or a radio say, 'You Sum 41? Are finished '
DERYCKE - "We've always heard. Even when we started there were those who said this could not work."
STEVE - "You can not take these things personally. These people are not wanting you to fail. If it works, like you, are your best friends. We do not pay attention to that. The only thing that matters is the music, the fans and shows , nothing more. If the disc works, that people will react. Basically want it to work. "
DERYCKE - "For our part all is well. We make the music we love, We do not care if six months from now dismiss a guy in the record or do not like us.
STEVE - "Right now, everything is chaos. It's like a civil war."
DERYCKE - "You're always having to prove yourself. When you start some say it does not work, and when it works, some say that they finished as a musician or group. Every album is like you take the first. It is a give and take, you always have to prove yourself. "
Jeremy Kill
Re: Rock Zone Full Interview

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Awesome, thanks a lot! I think I got the general idea, haha.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^yeah google gets most of it right, "queued" confused me, but yeah the general idea is given...lol
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Awesome, thanks a lot! I think I got the general idea, haha.
Yeah the translation wasn't that good... But not horrible.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Thanx for that! Yeah, couldn't understand everything obviously, I think some pretty funny stuff here got messed up, something with the blowjob Steve was talking about , so I couldn't get that, but yeah, I also got the general idea, cool interview.
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

Even though the translation broke it, I enjoyed it =)
silverdolphin
Hooch
First name: Zee
Instrument 2: Keyboard
Instrument 3: Bass

Post by silverdolphin »

Thanks for sharing ! I understood most of it but I still enjoyed it.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

That was a nice interview.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

good one ...thx for it ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Shelley41
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Shelley

Post by Shelley41 »

haha some parts were poorly translated. I understood most of it. But nice interview.

SARAH IS MY WIFE. DEAL WITH IT.
http://therearetoomanyurlstaken.tumblr.com/
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Nice, thanks for posting!
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

if you re3ad the original you can cleary see that the writer doesn't like them much, i like that magazine but sometimes they're just too metalhead minded