Skumfuk Download + Discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek
Re: Scumfuck Download + Discussion

Post by kILLDR3n »

Pull the Curtain or Speak of the Devil should've been the third single instead of With Me. All the people that don't even like Sum 41 liked With Me, that's where the problem was. As a huge Sum 41 fan I thought the song was mediocre and too mainstream.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Phili wrote:
Nic wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Phili wrote:
Nic wrote: Don't know why you left! People still talk about you.
Life happened. *shrug* I like being a legend. ...Do people talk about me negatively. Hmmm... time for an ass-kicking.
No way Phili, we love you and miss you! At least the original members that knew you anyway, haha.
This is true. Without you, we actually have to do shit around here! We have to post news ourselves now!!! :devious:
Haha, that's the real reason I left, I wanted to see if the site could thrive without me. Clearly you've just fallen apart.

That was all sarcasm. Just FYI.
I'm hoping your visit might turn into a permanent one xD. That's how much I missed yeh.
[donate][/donate]
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Phili wrote:
Nic wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Phili wrote:
Life happened. *shrug* I like being a legend. ...Do people talk about me negatively. Hmmm... time for an ass-kicking.
No way Phili, we love you and miss you! At least the original members that knew you anyway, haha.
This is true. Without you, we actually have to do shit around here! We have to post news ourselves now!!! :devious:
Haha, that's the real reason I left, I wanted to see if the site could thrive without me. Clearly you've just fallen apart.

I'm hoping your visit might turn into a permanent one xD. That's how much I missed yeh.
it's about time we get someone who does as much as i do on this place
(admitedly, you only ever see my work through the "This board is currently disabled" screen :P ).
:<

I've been attempting to keep this place running smoothly pretty much constantly since this bloody song hit :( I've disabled so much crap and in a drunken state managed to break some custom acp modules. And i even wrote a new one :O Why did V get a job D: I miss him.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
bob5587
First name: efasd

Post by bob5587 »

:ohshiz: Anyone else see the Track 4/9 could it mean theres 9 tracks in new album!?,
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

bob5587 wrote::ohshiz: Anyone else see the Track 4/9 could it mean theres 9 tracks in new album!?,
There will be 9 tracks on the Warped Tour CD Sampler. Which is where this track is from.
Shit! I just sounded like I ACTUALLY know something about Sum 41 :O
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Jake! wrote:
bob5587 wrote::ohshiz: Anyone else see the Track 4/9 could it mean theres 9 tracks in new album!?,
There will be 9 tracks on the Warped Tour CD Sampler. Which is where this track is from.
This is correct.
bob5587
First name: efasd

Post by bob5587 »

Oh this was the track they were talking about for the Warptour, i thought Matt gave us a track from the album haha my bad
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Nic wrote:
Jake! wrote:
This is correct.
Awww. I thought it was just a leaked track, although I figured it was this. But it did leak right? I hope since it did they still put the other song up on sum41.com
Winton89
Hooch
First name: Conor
360 Gamer Tag: Winton89
PSN ID: DYNAmonkeys
Instrument 1: Your Mom
Instrument 2: My 360 controller

Post by Winton89 »

I heard that Scumfuck isn't going to be on the new album, is this true?

And before you bitch and complain at me for re-asking a question that's already been answered, remember, this thread is 18 pages long, I'm not going to read every post :suicide:
Still Waiting wrote:final countdown is one of the best songs eva written
Wait! I can haz a twitter 0_o
http://twitter.com/Conorcopia

AND a facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/ConorDavidThompson
CHARLEY <3
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Matt said it almost didn't make it, but did get on the album
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Phili wrote:
Nic wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Phili wrote:

it's about time we get someone who does as much as i do on this place
(admitedly, you only ever see my work through the "This board is currently disabled" screen :P ).
:<

I've been attempting to keep this place running smoothly pretty much constantly since this bloody song hit :( I've disabled so much crap and in a drunken state managed to break some custom acp modules. And i even wrote a new one :O Why did V get a job D: I miss him.
You've never asked me to help *sad face* :balling:
[donate][/donate]
sumtime

Post by sumtime »

this songs remind me of "Moron" ... am i the only one ??
upperclasszero
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Jake
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by upperclasszero »

this song gives me hope
Children of the beast embrace,
To scorn and the human race,
Consume the light that hugs the earth,
And aid the womb in giving birth,
To a group that will appear,
And guide you through this final year,
The dark armies then will come,
When the sum is 41

WillySpleen is my n00b
Winton89
Hooch
First name: Conor
360 Gamer Tag: Winton89
PSN ID: DYNAmonkeys
Instrument 1: Your Mom
Instrument 2: My 360 controller

Post by Winton89 »

sumtime wrote:this songs remind me of "Moron" ... am i the only one ??
It reminds me more of Real World by The All American Rejects :confusion:
Still Waiting wrote:final countdown is one of the best songs eva written
Wait! I can haz a twitter 0_o
http://twitter.com/Conorcopia

AND a facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/ConorDavidThompson
CHARLEY <3
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I got around to doing a cover with my new camera, haha.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

someone should ask Cone if it's actually Gerard Way singing at the start
Schmiznatch

Post by Schmiznatch »

I agree, definitely getting that quick edgy vibe of Moron.
Last edited by Schmiznatch on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmiznatch

Post by Schmiznatch »

Phili wrote:
Schmiznatch wrote:Well, I just listened to this song for the umpteenth time and I must say that this is very much what I was thinking of after watching every update and one-liner about this new album. However, I feel that this clearly rough cut of a song has been misconstrued a bit by we faithful fans of TNS.

1. The "MCR" sound is there, except for the fact that to me it just sounds like he used a filter similar to the King of Contradiction. I feel that this doesn't sound like MCR, as much as it does The Black Parade (a total shift for MCR) and even then, it's only a similar distortion to the vocals.

2. Let's look towards the implications of this song for the new album. It is heavy, dark, layered, simple, dynamic, and uses a lot of effects to change the sound of nearly every instrument. Does anyone remember the update that told us, "If Sweeney Todd wrote an album, this is what it would sound like." I feel that this statement is very applicable to this song, with lyrical cues to a loved one or a dark past with someone dear to Deryck and strange sudden shifts in tempo and sound.

3. We need to realize that without Dave Brownsound, the band will most likely be less solo-focused. In another update, where Deryck shows us one of his guitars, D references that "anyone can fucking wank off on the fret board, but I think it takes real talent to make the guitar 'sound' good..." I could not agree more and although this is the roughest of cuts, It seems that every little sound was tweaked and double-checked to assure it is what they wanted in the song. (Especially the crescendo at the end of the song!)

4. I hope we can all get past this Underclass hate-rape that has been happening. If you listen to the album, there are so many great songs and so many interesting aspects to it. Imagine writing an album all on your own with no outside influences, where there once were many. It was a shift for a very specific reason, everything around Deryck had changed (Marriage, Bandmates, Management, and Environment) this resulted in a change in direction that saw references to his roots, but saw great leaps in the band's lyrical abilities as well as musical shifts (having a song like UH contrasted to Pull the Curtain and Speak of the Devil). In my opinion the album made sense and really wasn't absolute shit (which apparently is what most of us think).

In conclusion, I know that we were all expecting a dark album with songs about the break-up and if you weren't I hope you take surprises pleasantly, because that engulfed his life and once again caused a massive change in friends, his work, and his view of life. I wouldn't mind having 12-15 songs all about different areas of the split, because that really takes over one's thinking and focus and just seems to be an area of infinite depth and emotion for any individual.
Sum*41 have once again embarked on a new path for their music, one that may seem foreign and strange but will take us to great places and hopefully exciting surprises. Keep listening to it, the song definitely gets better with time!
This is a wonderful post. Props. I agree completely.

I don't however agree with a single person who says this song is about Avril. The majority of the lyrics that Deryck writes are very self-reflective and act as inner journeys for them. Deryck might have been angry at Avril at one point or another but they've had what appears to be a very healthy post-break up period... one that would never cause him to curse her to death. Think about it, would Deryck spend the time around his birthday with someone who he was this angry at? No. If the whole album is this dark and angry, people will do what's easy and attach every song to Avril. Realistically, that time of his life will have affected the music. However, never assume that a song that is this dark in tone is connected to the end of a relationship.

I COMPLETELY agree that "Pull the Curtain" is among Sum 41's strongest songs to date. I think people wrote the album off because of the weaker half of the album, but "Speak of the Devil" and PTC were both really strong. I also think "Count Your Last Blessings" was great and my heart reaches out to "Dear Father." It wasn't the abandonment of their talent that people seem to make it out to be.
Thank you, I am glad to see that there are others who appreciate the contrasting, twisting, and turning adventure that is "Pull the Curtain". Yes, "Count Your Last Blessings" is definitely worthy of noting on their last album, the keyboard while simple is intriguing and addictive.

As far as "Scumfuck" goes, I find myself a bit torn as to it's meaning. It seems to be a very accusatory song, that not only seeks to rationalize the individual's outcome, "I guess it's obvious you'd end up this way", while also feeling disconnected from that person's actions, "I hear you talk, but I don't hear you speak." While I don't believe the song is about Avril herself, I do believe it is about the relationship. It seems to be saying, "of course this would happen, look at my behavior, look at my actions." In fact, I feel like this could be a "reimagining" of what Deryck views Avril saying/thinking to him. Explaining that while she wishes him the best of luck, she recognizes he is a Scumfuck that seemingly will never change and will continue to not care about what happens further on down the road. I'm not sure what the final words are towards or who they are spoken by, perhaps it is Deryck's thoughts after the end or Avril after breaking away from this drag on her life, this Scumfuck.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but that is what makes art so enthralling. I look forward to your analysis.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Listening to this from yesterday til today and still repeating, i attempted to make a single cover for this song.
And i think it turned out quite good ;)

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i28.tinypic.com/293evyw.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Schmiznatch wrote:As far as "Scumfuck" goes, I find myself a bit torn as to it's meaning. It seems to be a very accusatory song, that not only seeks to rationalize the individual's outcome, "I guess it's obvious you'd end up this way", while also feeling disconnected from that person's actions, "I hear you talk, but I don't hear you speak." While I don't believe the song is about Avril herself, I do believe it is about the relationship. It seems to be saying, "of course this would happen, look at my behavior, look at my actions." In fact, I feel like this could be a "reimagining" of what Deryck views Avril saying/thinking to him. Explaining that while she wishes him the best of luck, she recognizes he is a Scumfuck that seemingly will never change and will continue to not care about what happens further on down the road. I'm not sure what the final words are towards or who they are spoken by, perhaps it is Deryck's thoughts after the end or Avril after breaking away from this drag on her life, this Scumfuck.

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but that is what makes art so enthralling. I look forward to your analysis.
That's a really interesting analysis. After listening to the song with this insight, it sounds like Deryck's reflecting upon his current self and situation (A victim or just a tragedy). Though it's hard to think of it as his own view of himself as he's been living the same lifestyle for almost a year (probably during the time this song was written). So for the song to be about past or future Deryck criticizing his present lifestyle would be make the song hypocritical.

One line that makes me believe it's about someone else is "You've cursed your silver spoon so black". I'm not sure if "cursed' is the right word in that line, but I'm positive about "silver spoon." That's a term that is used for people of wealthy backgrounds and environments. Deryck was never born into a wealthy environment. However, it could be a metaphor for a different kind of wealth (probably his marriage to Avril) and how he feels like he ruined it and caused this silver spoon to go black.

The last part of the song seems like it's Deryck in present day as the Scumfuck himself. Saying how he'll be alright as long as he keeps breathing and dreaming.

I'm kind of too tired to go into it further (not sure I could) but I find songs with meanings like this make them a whole lot more enjoyable. When I heard Deryck say that Speak of the Devil was made so that the first verse and chorus was his personal demons perspective and the second verse and chorus was his, it instantly became a favorite song of mine.

Plus, it kind of makes Scumfuck a more tragic and meaningful song if it turns out it was actually self-reflection rather than say... an attack on Brody Jenner.