Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Re: The Sum 41 New Album Thread!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:I'd say Chuck was more Post-Hardcore than Metal. I always just class it as Hardcore Punk to keep it simple. I've never been one to care about genres. It is what it is I always say and what Screaming Bloody Murder is to me is a lyric from a Papa Roach song, a pretty good song at that. I like the album title, I don't think it will be massive but it all depends on the record labels promotion.
Yeah, it seems they do better when they put shit out. (AKNF, UH.)

UH IS MY FAVORITE ALBUM!!1

Anyway, i dunno what to hope for.. If it's really good, like a breakthrough, then all the kids i know and shit will love them, and that might kinda soil it for me. UH wasn't promoted very well, and with all the teenie-songs on that album, I'd prolly hate this band.
Why would other people listening to the same music as you ruin it? That's one thing I never understood. If you like the music, that's all that matters. It's like what I hear about The Gaslight Anthem: "Oh it's a shame they're getting more popular now..." I just don't get why people feel the need to have an exclusive band for themselves that no one else knows about. I'd love for more people to listen to The Gaslight Anthem, they're a great band.

What I want to see this album do is get Sum 41 out from under the shadow of Fat Lip because as far as I'm concerned, the majority of people still only associate Fat Lip with Sum 41 and no other song.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:I'd say Chuck was more Post-Hardcore than Metal. I always just class it as Hardcore Punk to keep it simple. I've never been one to care about genres. It is what it is I always say and what Screaming Bloody Murder is to me is a lyric from a Papa Roach song, a pretty good song at that. I like the album title, I don't think it will be massive but it all depends on the record labels promotion.

Anyway, i dunno what to hope for.. If it's really good, like a breakthrough, then all the kids i know and shit will love them, and that might kinda soil it for me. UH wasn't promoted very well, and with all the teenie-songs on that album, I'd prolly hate this band.
Why would other people listening to the same music as you ruin it? That's one thing I never understood. If you like the music, that's all that matters. It's like what I hear about The Gaslight Anthem: "Oh it's a shame they're getting more popular now..." I just don't get why people feel the need to have an exclusive band for themselves that no one else knows about. I'd love for more people to listen to The Gaslight Anthem, they're a great band.

What I want to see this album do is get Sum 41 out from under the shadow of Fat Lip because as far as I'm concerned, the majority of people still only associate Fat Lip with Sum 41 and no other song.
I don't know ...people around me usually know In too Deep,Still Waiting and Pieces too :) and maybe Motivation ...and about the "getting more popular" thing ...I think it'd be better if more people would listen to "my" music ...then I could barely hear any fucking Rihanna or Lady Gaga in our classroom ...but unfortunately I can hear that shit as soon as I get in the classroom and I have to throw a foot-stool in one of my classmate's face ..
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

It's a shame really. Mostly cause the kids who got in to Sum 41 back in 2001 are old now. They've moved on from the whole pop-punk scene. Might be some exceptions but in general that's hwo i think it is.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

Posers bro, fucking posers. You don't understand what this music is about, you think it just sounds nice. Fuck off, i don't listen to your shitty Fall Out Boy, or whatever the fuck is popular at the time, so don't act like you like the band i've followed since my inception.

Your telling me there isn't someone, a music enjoyer of whatever genre, that would ruin a song/band for you? I can't explain it, but if I'm a Green Day fan, i understand why you wouldn't like them anymore.. All these people suddenly like your favorite band, and your like, "Wait, they weren't here an album ago." And all the false love from Lady Gaga fangirls are singing, and loving this album, then it would make me sick also. Sadly, i might have been exposed to American Idiot first, though i've listened to earlier albums from start, to end, i'd only heard the singles, and now that i've listened to AI many times, i realize it's still great. If i were a fan from the start, then i dunno. Sometimes break through's aren't good, but i hope it's HUGE in the punk rock/metal fanbase, but not mainstream. Hopefully, this album is too dark for their taste anyway. Just sayin..
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Jake-41 wrote: i don't listen to your shitty Fall Out Boy
HWATA DID YOU JUST SAY!!?
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

patenttiftw wrote:
Hahaha! No, i was just throwing out an example of a popular band!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jake-41 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:I'd say Chuck was more Post-

Your telling me there isn't someone, a music enjoyer of whatever genre, that would ruin a song/band for you? I can't explain it, but if I'm a Green Day fan, i understand why you wouldn't like them anymore.. All these people suddenly like your favorite band, and your like, "Wait, they weren't here an album ago." And all the false love from Lady Gaga fangirls are singing, and loving this album, then it would make me sick also. Sadly, i might have been exposed to American Idiot first, though i've listened to earlier albums from start, to end, i'd only heard the singles, and now that i've listened to AI many times, i realize it's still great. If i were a fan from the start, then i dunno. Sometimes break through's aren't good, but i hope it's HUGE in the punk rock/metal fanbase, but not mainstream. Hopefully, this album is too dark for their taste anyway. Just sayin..

sometimes I find it kind of funny ...I have a friend and he's always like "fuck AI,it's not an old good Green Day" ...
but I know that he likes that album cause I catched him listening to it and even singing the songs ...but he just swears cause he finds himself as an old punk rock guy who can't like anything that's a little bit different ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Jake-41 wrote:
patenttiftw wrote:
Hahaha! No, i was just throwing out an example of a popular band!
Backing off now!? Come back here and I'll kick your ass with my 15-year old foot. COME ON YOU PUSSY!!!
Last edited by patenttiftw on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:Posers bro, fucking posers. You don't understand what this music is about, you think it just sounds nice. Fuck off, i don't listen to your shitty Fall Out Boy, or whatever the fuck is popular at the time, so don't act like you like the band i've followed since my inception.

Are you talking to me in your first paragraph?

Anyway, I don't think there would be someone out there that would ruin a song or band for me. If someone genuinely likes a band's song, then good for them. I wouldn't have a holier than thou attitude just because I've been listening to a band since they were nobodies. Instead of slamming them for only knowing a single song, why not suggest an album to listen to or more songs? If they are actually an enjoyer of music, then I think it's fine. On the flip side, if they're just a casual music listener, I can't get mad at them either. Obviously I'm talking only about people I have personal contact with and not fanboys/girls in a different country.

In regards to American Idiot, I think I'd be happy for the band to be able to achieve fame without having to recreate Dookie. Sure, 21st Century Breakdown was another concept album and some songs were just rehashes from previous albums like Warning, but I probably would've done the same thing. You know, now that the band has attention again, let us show you what we can do.

It's not like Sum 41 didn't already have the fangirl factor already. They've probably had it since All Killer No Filler. At 1:05.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

^^off topic, but he looked so much better back then...maybe I'm just still not use to the black hair being back
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

It's not all about his hair, now days he's looking really.. "worn out" and well, old. His lifestyle isn't very healthy and now it's taking it's toll.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

samueeL wrote:It's not all about his hair, now days he's looking really.. "worn out" and well, old. His lifestyle isn't very healthy and now it's taking it's toll.
Avril fucked up our Deryck...we should hate her :P
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Emil wrote: It's a shame really. Mostly cause the kids who got in to Sum 41 back in 2001 are old now. They've moved on from the whole pop-punk scene. Might be some exceptions but in general that's hwo i think it is.
Definately agree! I was lurking the Warped Tour board and under a Sum 41 thread the person who made the topic was like talking about how they were on the GK stage and deserved the main stage (i think)
and someone went "who cares it's not like anyone actually listens to them on a regular basis" or something along those lines. Like as if everyone who is seeing them on the Warped Tour are just "old fans" that are going because they liked them when Fat Lip was around and moved on to other bands. They also said something like they haven't done much in their career anymore.
It really disappointed me. :/
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Deryck does look pretty haggard lately. Almost as bad as these pictures?

Image Image

I don't know about anyone else, but I think he looks older in these pictures than he ever has (excluding what he looks like now, probably).
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:Posers bro, fucking posers. You don't understand what this music is about, you think it just sounds nice. Fuck off, i don't listen to your shitty Fall Out Boy, or whatever the fuck is popular at the time, so don't act like you like the band i've followed since my inception.

It's not like Sum 41 didn't already have the fangirl factor already. They've probably had it since All Killer No Filler. At 1:05.
What a fangirl mosh pit also, haha.
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

The whole thing about posers/liking a band from the beginning/knowing only a few songs I think the problem is people are stubborn. Those people that say "Oh I liked the band before it became popular" are just plain stubborn.

And I don't know about you guys but I think Deryck looks way better with his hair now than with blonde hair.

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

turtlehobopirate wrote:The whole thing about posers/liking a band from the beginning/knowing only a few songs I think the problem is people are stubborn. Those people that say "Oh I liked the band before it became popular" are just plain stubborn.

And I don't know about you guys but I think Deryck looks way better with his hair now than with blonde hair.
He doesn't feel like the same person now as during the UH days, especially since he looks much skinnier now as well.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:What a fangirl mosh pit also, haha.
Yeah, it's pretty gross! Haha!
turtlehobopirate wrote:The whole thing about posers/liking a band from the beginning/knowing only a few songs I think the problem is people are stubborn. Those people that say "Oh I liked the band before it became popular" are just plain stubborn.

Yeah, I prefer Deryck with black hair, though he still looks pretty worn out. During Underclass Hero, he looked really young, like he hadn't aged since All Killer No Filler almost. But that could have been the effect of his hair, going back to how he looked in All Killer No Filler. Though, his life was pretty much perfect at that time as well.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil

Post by Emil »

Jake-41 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

Posers bro, fucking posers. You don't understand what this music is about, you think it just sounds nice. Fuck off, i don't listen to your shitty Fall Out Boy, or whatever the fuck is popular at the time, so don't act like you like the band i've followed since my inception.

You do know right, that Green Day isn't even a good example in your scenario. When Green Day hit it big with Dookie they alienated much of the adudience they had attracted on Lookout! So even if you got in to Green Day when they made it big with Dookie you are still up pretty high on the poser level. Not that I actually care about that. If people like the record then good for them.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Emil wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:

You do know right, that Green Day isn't even a good example in your scenario. When Green Day hit it big with Dookie they alienated much of the adudience they had attracted on Lookout! So even if you got in to Green Day when they made it big with Dookie you are still up pretty high on the poser level. Not that I actually care about that. If people like the record then good for them.
But they don't like it! They only act as if they like it cos it's popular.