Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Re: The Sum 41 New Album Thread!

Post by patenttiftw »

http://twitter.com/stevosum41/status/17036885360
hangover much? I heard you were so wasted last night on loveline!
- I wasn't wasted. But I think psycho mike roofied me...
maxpayne4664

Post by maxpayne4664 »

You guys should check out Sum 41's other Loveline show. It was more funny than the one from last night imo. If you can find it, it took place the day before Underclass Hero came out in the US. The chin dildo that Steve talks about in that Pre-Interview video was mentioned in there as well. I can't find it because I downloaded the audio file from the Loveline site (back when they actually let you download show archives for free). Seems like they charge you now.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Actually. there was some news.. Deryck said the album is complete, and only knobs needed to be twisted before it's finished.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

The 1st show end, any news? :D setlist :D
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Andros wrote:The 1st show end, any news? :D setlist :D
Nothing special from the shit youtube vids so far. Normal set.. : (
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Jake-41 wrote:Actually. there was some news.. Deryck said the album is complete, and only knobs needed to be twisted before it's finished.
Well, that was a guess and quite a vague supposition by one of the hosts and Deryck avoided a direct answer by saying "yeah it's kind of like that" like he always does. He probably just didn't want to disappoint anyone that he is still not done/happy with the vocals because he's got writer's block or whatever.

That's actually a good possibility, because he stated before that he has had writer's block all the time before or while writing a new album. This time he didn't have that at all, which might result in it coming up at a late point in a different way like "Damn, I keep writing all these new songs instead of finishing the ones that are almost done" as opposed to "Oh my god, I don't know how to write songs anymore" which has been the case before.
But that's just my guess and I personally don't care if it takes another two months or even more. He will take the time he needs anyway, which is good. All the people who keep complaining about that need to shut the fuck up already. There is no point in pushing someone to do something that he already wants to do. That's just unnecessary pressure and can have a significant negative effect if there are enough of those idiots. The only people who should be doing this are his close friends and the rest of the band if they feel like he is losing focus or avoiding it.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

I agree with every word you wrote. And ya, i know he just said that to give the radio hosts an answer. I just wrote that to make everybody feel better, haha.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Jake-41 wrote:I agree with every word you wrote. And ya, i know he just said that to give the radio hosts an answer. I just wrote that to make everybody feel better, haha.
Oh you pussy, I knew it... of course you agree, you're a weak little bitch. Now go, make daddy proud and be a man next time!
- Stevo32

Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Well, I'm not so sure if I argee. I could, but I'm not sure if I will.

Because here's the deal: if he keeps writing and writing 'better' songs, that has to result in... I don't know, the best album of the past decade. Or at least an album that will get to other people beside the regular Sum 41-fans, you see?

All of the time they were saying it was their best record, the most intense one (which I truly believe of course), but now with the new songs, some of the others might be replaced. So.. Weren't they THAT good after all or what?

Imo, a song needs time to grow, and maybe that won't happen with the last-minute songs.
Mind the word 'maybe', please.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Lars wrote:if he keeps writing and writing 'better' songs, that has to result in... I don't know, the best album of the past decade.
HIS best album of the past decade, yes.

There is no efficiency obligation in writing good music except for the rules by the record company and your (the writer's own).

If he keeps writing and writing better songs, that has to result in something that they/he like(s) better. He is not a music manufacturer for us. He has more time to write music now and as long as the record company is happy, he can and should take all the time he needs. I am not a fan of this better-talk anyway because their new albums will always be "the be thing they have ever done" and whether we think it is better or not doesn't really matter that much. It's meaningless talk because they would say that even if it was just the last sellout record. But the fact of the matter is, I can clearly understand why they feel like they did something better with every new album and if I forget my own taste and feelings for a moment, I completely agree with that despite all the UH hating. That's all that matters for "better".

I would not want to miss any of those new songs in order to get the album sooner. And if he thinks they belong on this album and can not be saved for later, that's fine because it's his call.
- Stevo32

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

yeah I agree with Simon. As much as I want a new album, I'd rather it be what D and the guys want it to be, not what they settled for. I think its 99.99% finished and like D said it just need a few adjustments. We'll have it by the end of the year, probably by September, no later than November is my guess

Musically you should feel like you have grown and gotten better with each album, if that wasn't the case, whats the point of writing new stuff?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I want Deryck to have the chance to make the songs the best that they can be, I really do. I just don't want him to spend so much time on the songs that instead of being great, they end up not living up to expectations. The longer he takes to write, the more assumptions are made to what the music could be. The longer he takes, the more people expect the music to be great.

To use Chinese Democracy as an example, that album spent 14 years in the making and it was released two years ago. Do people even care about it now? I think American Idiot had a longer run of popularity post-release than Chinese Democracy.

And to quote Heather's current signature, "2nd guessing yourself is a disease. Do what you do in the moment and then forget about it. Thats your best shit." Was that Deryck who said that?

Anyway, I'm just saying that if Deryck works some songs into the ground, he'll second guess himself and version 2 may not be as good as version 1 or something like that. Of course, unless we've ever heard demos, we'd never know this to be true. But I agree with that quote that what you do in the moment, what happens spontaneously, is the best material. That's the moment of creativity. Working on songs to make them better for the sake of making it better is just forcing creativity and you end up with an over-saturated product (ie. Chinese Democracy).

Hopefully that made sense. I'm a tad hungover and lacking sleep while writing this.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Well, i agree with that too. If you mess with something great, it could possibly get ruined.

I just want this to be my hand down, no doubt, favorite Sum 41 album ever. I don't even want their next album to do better than it. And i honestly mean that.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I have a feeling that this will be their/Deryck's greatest work. Sum 41 is a band that gets better and improves after every album. Even though I didn't like Underclass Hero entirely, in some aspects it was a step up from Chuck. Now, finally, with this album I think they'll truly hone all the best parts of their previous albums and put them into this one.
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

Very well said Jeremy.

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
Jake-41
Underclass Hero

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I have a feeling that this will be their/Deryck's greatest work. Sum 41 is a band that gets better and improves after every album. Even though I didn't like Underclass Hero entirely, in some aspects it was a step up from Chuck. Now, finally, with this album I think they'll truly hone all the best parts of their previous albums and put them into this one.
It'll be the heaviest skater punk, most personal record.. and it'll only last 30 minutes?! AWESOME!!
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Of course spontaneous things are great. UH was a bit too overthought imo.

But to get back on the new album: those new songs are as spontaneous as the others were. That's what D always said: it just came from nowhere.

And if they make a great addition to the new record; why not add them instead of replace any other songs? That's my biggest worry, you know.

It's not sure if the new songs are better than the old ones, but if they make a great addition in D's view; put them on.

I would love to have some extra songs on the record. I mean the most they had was 14 on UH (Look at me included, Ma poubelle; my view). Having like 17 or 18 songs would make an epic album. Not every song will be as good as we want it to be, but that's the fact as well with a 14-track album.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

i agree with jeremy.

now they just need to release a damn single, im dying here.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I think with Deryck writing more songs we should AT LEAST give us an EP. You don't have the play the songs from it, just give something to the fans for waiting almost another 3 years for a record.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

The thing is, they are probably not allowed to release anything Sum41 related without the label being involved. I bet Deryck would love to give us some finished songs, that are not going to be on the final album tracklist, but it seems like they are only allowed to release covers on their own. Everything else has to become bonus material, which we will probably get a lot with this album.
- Stevo32