n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: The Sum 41 New Album Thread!

Post by Simon »

Jake-41 wrote:Steve isn't hurt. Deryck was more excited he has more time, than sad his best friend was hurt.

Steve isn't hurt. Steve was never hurt. Good try, though. Not that it matters, now this record might be out by August. Though, i doubt that also.
It is very suspicious that we don't get an iPhone clip of him in the hospital or some random details on what happened. The way Steve has been active lately, if he wasn't seriously hurt, he would have done something like that. The statement on sum41.com and the last update from Deryck, it all seems so scripted, like they were forced to do this for the album or something we don't know.
I mean, he is unable to get on a plane anytime soon, but it's nothing serious and they will be able to play the Warped tour for sure? How is all that possible. I was seriously worried when I read "oh fuck. this is not good. this is really not good." and then "stevo was involved in an accident".

I don't know what to believe anymore.. and what was the first thing that happened? Wasn't it the tourdates disappearing on the official site?
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, knowing Stevo, he probably would've posted a picture of his new cast or whatever battle scars he got from the accident, talking about cheating death and other et cetera's.

Even their lated tweet:
Sum 41 wrote:Currently drinking: Jack, currently listening: Johnny Cash, currently feeling: completley bummed.
I know there's a 140 character limit, but it just seems of little concern regarding Stevo's accident. Like, they're more bummed out that they had to cancel shows and are happy to have time to work on the album. Even the latest video update was edited nicely, like time wasn't a factor in getting the news out.

I don't know. I don't want it to seem like I'm calling the band a bunch of liars and the unholiest of punx by obeying their label. But I also wouldn't doubt that it was done to get the album completed. We all questioned whether the album would be done within the time frame given until they had to go back on tour. We all knew it was highly unlikely. Then Stevo's accident happened at the most convenient time.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Simon wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:Steve isn't hurt. Deryck was more excited he has more time, than sad his best friend was hurt.

Steve isn't hurt. Steve was never hurt. Good try, though. Not that it matters, now this record might be out by August. Though, i doubt that also.
It is very suspicious that we don't get an iPhone clip of him in the hospital or some random details on what happened. The way Steve has been active lately, if he wasn't seriously hurt, he would have done something like that. The statement on sum41.com and the last update from Deryck, it all seems so scripted, like they were forced to do this for the album or something we don't know.
I mean, he is unable to get on a plane anytime soon, but it's nothing serious and they will be able to play the Warped tour for sure? How is all that possible. I was seriously worried when I read "oh fuck. this is not good. this is really not good." and then "stevo was involved in an accident".

I don't know what to believe anymore.. and what was the first thing that happened? Wasn't it the tourdates disappearing on the official site?
So you think just because he hasn't recorded anything or anything you think he is lying? Have you though of the possibility that he isn't doing because he was in an accident and might not be in the mood? Maybe he just wants to be at home with his wife the now? The logic of people today all jumping to their own conclusion with nothing but speculations, we don't know any of the details and already we're like "Oh they are all a bunch of liars". Maybe this played in their favour with the whole album thing but I see no need to lie about it. Before passing judgment, at least wait until we hear from Stevo

To answer your question about the Warped Tour, I don't know if you've check you're calendar but that's a month away (minus one day) before that starts, Therefore, what is needed is recovery time, therefore cancelling their current leg of the Europe tour.
[donate][/donate]
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:So you think just because he hasn't recorded anything or anything you think he is lying? Have you though of the possibility that he isn't doing because he was in an accident and might not be in the mood? Maybe he just wants to be at home with his wife the now? The logic of people today all jumping to their own conclusion with nothing but speculations, we don't know any of the details and already we're like "Oh they are all a bunch of liars". Maybe this played in their favour with the whole album thing but I see no need to lie about it. Before passing judgment, at least wait until we hear from Stevo

To answer your question about the Warped Tour, I don't know if you've check you're calendar but that's a month away (minus one day) before that starts, Therefore, what is needed is recovery time, therefore cancelling their current leg of the Europe tour.
Come on, you know Steve, we all know him. You can't tell me that you don't see anything wrong with this.
If it's just a broken arm, he would be all over twitter bragging about how he writes with only one hand now and is so sorry for being unable to have the superpowers to avoid this.
And I doubt they would claim to be able to play shows again in only 4 weeks with the Stevo having a broken arm.
I'm not calling them liars, I'm just saying something is odd about this. That's a fair judgement due to the lack of information on the accident, especially with Deryck being so bummed out about this and that being the only reaction so far.
Jeremy Kill wrote:I don't want it to seem like I'm calling the band a bunch of liars and the unholiest of punx by obeying their label.
It could've been something very serious like the record and the whole band being shut down by the label and all of them getting legally gutted for not complying with contracts. We really don't know anything about it, so even if they are lying, I'm sure they have a very good reason.
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I have no idea how contracts work. Green Day took five years to record 21st Century Breakdown, Axl took fourteen to record Chinese Democracy. Sum 41 said that there were no deadlines when doing Underclass Hero. Does it depend on the band's success as to how much power they have over the time frame? Or is it like managers and stuff?
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

It's clear:

The 'Big Changes'-tweet was because they already knew they had to cancel the shows. But now they're using "Stevo's accident" as an excuse, which is in fact impossible. Well I think it is, since no one can predict an accident with a broken arm as a consequence.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I have no idea how contracts work. Green Day took five years to record 21st Century Breakdown, Axl took fourteen to record Chinese Democracy. Sum 41 said that there were no deadlines when doing Underclass Hero. Does it depend on the band's success as to how much power they have over the time frame? Or is it like managers and stuff?
That could be the case, but it's very individual. Some contracts are like prisons, some are just basic guidelines to give some securities to both sides. The problem is you rarely find out about the bad ones until it's too late, because the artist is not allowed to talk about it. If you're a pessimist you could say: Sum 41 are the addict and the label is the dealer.

I wish they would go the same way as Die Ärzte, who are kind of like a German The Sums, but sillier, older and a little more punk.

What they did is they quit the band very early despite the fact that they were extremely popular, waited until all contracts ended and then when they were free again, they revived the band with a huge ad campaign "Best band in the world looking for record label".
It completely reversed the balance of power, how it should be - the label serving the artist. Many labels fought over who had the best conditions for them and since that moment, they are on fire! They write more music, are even more popular, their music grew a lot and they are happier than ever with their situation and they can basically do whatever they want. That's where I'd like to see Sum 41 as well.

Completely unrelated, but funny similarity: Their first Best-Of was released in 1994 (about 12 years after they started the band - Sum 41 was founded in 1996, Best-Of came out 2008/09). It was called "Das Beste von kurz nach früher bis jetze" which roughly means "The best of shortly after the early days until right now" - in other words, synonymous with "All The Good Shit".
- Stevo32

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Simon wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I have no idea how contracts work. Green Day took five years to record 21st Century Breakdown, Axl took fourteen to record Chinese Democracy. Sum 41 said that there were no deadlines when doing Underclass Hero. Does it depend on the band's success as to how much power they have over the time frame? Or is it like managers and stuff?
That could be the case, but it's very individual. Some contracts are like prisons, some are just basic guidelines to give some securities to both sides. The problem is you rarely find out about the bad ones until it's too late, because the artist is not allowed to talk about it. If you're a pessimist you could say: Sum 41 are the addict and the label is the dealer.

I wish they would go the same way as Die Ärzte, who are kind of like a German The Sums, but sillier, older and a little more punk.

What they did is they quit the band very early despite the fact that they were extremely popular, waited until all contracts ended and then when they were free again, they revived the band with a huge ad campaign "Best band in the world looking for record label".
It completely reversed the balance of power, how it should be - the label serving the artist. Many labels fought over who had the best conditions for them and since that moment, they are on fire! They write more music, are even more popular, their music grew a lot and they are happier than ever with their situation and they can basically do whatever they want. That's where I'd like to see Sum 41 as well.

Completely unrelated, but funny similarity: Their first Best-Of was released in 1994 already (about 12 years after they started the band - ATGS 2008/2009, Sum 41 was founded in 1996). It was called "Das Beste von kurz nach früher bis jetze" which means "The best of shortly after the early days until right now" - in other words, synonymous with "All The Good Shit"
That's where I'd like to see sum 41 as well.. but without the quitting and waiting for the contracts to end...
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:To be honest, I would much rather see Sum 41 live then listen to the new album.
This. When the album comes out, we can listen to it for three years straight if we want.
The live shows in Europe in a suitable area for me are very rare, so I would wait for the new album to come out much later if it meant they would tour here. I would still listen to the album many years, so a delay of couple of months doesn't change anything.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

TomiT14 wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:To be honest, I would much rather see Sum 41 live then listen to the new album.
This. When the album comes out, we can listen to it for three years straight if we want.
The live shows in Europe in a suitable area for me are very rare, so I would wait for the new album to come out much later if it meant they would tour here. I would still listen to the album many years, so a delay of couple of months doesn't change anything.
I agree, but I guess that also depends a lot on where you live. Someone living in Japan would probably think differently right now. It's unfortunate that this has to affect the European tour so shortly before its final stage.
- Stevo32

fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Yeah, it could be something like the label telling them to get the album finished. Bands like Green Day and Guns are guaranteed to ship millions of disks no matter how long they take, the Sum's label probably want the album or single launch to coincide with some Warped Tour or North American dates so it can be out while they're hot in their biggest market.

Then again, Steve might have broken his arm

(Thanks for the images, Jeremy!) :)
sumtime

Post by sumtime »

There's something i don't get.

If Tom Lord-Alge just finished mixing the album in Miami with the boys... then it means, on a pure theory basis :

first: that deryck voices are already recorded (you don't get TLA to mix only instrumental stuff, the guy has been pretty busy and you have to work on the final recording with him)

second: if its mixed... that the new album is now almost 90 % done, it just has to be masterised, and eventually deryck and gil norton can do a bunch of editing / tracklisting stuff on it... but thats it.

I mean, when your label/producer book a few weeks of mixing with someone like TLA, its only when the album is done and ready to be mixed...

Well...let's see !
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

sumtime wrote:There's something i don't get.

If Tom Lord-Alge just finished mixing the album in Miami with the boys... then it means, on a pure theory basis :

first: that deryck voices are already recorded (you don't get TLA to mix only instrumental stuff, the guy has been pretty busy and you have to work on the final recording with him)
Doesn't necessarily mean he worked on the whole record. Any finished song can be mixed by itself, even by different people, although that's not that common and usually just a rough mix. In the video from Miami they were only talking about "hearing some mixes soon" and I guess Deryck simply needs to finish writing the lyrics and doing the vocals. But it's hard to do that under pressure, when you still have other ideas for other songs and really just want to go on tour again.

The mastering is a completely separated process that happens when the record is completely mixed and arranged. They give a copy of the raw master away to a mastering studio, they work on it a couple of days and return it. If they are happy, it goes into production.
- Stevo32

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

sumtime wrote:There's something i don't get.

second: if its mixed... that the new album is now almost 90 % done, it just has to be masterised, and eventually deryck and gil norton can do a bunch of editing / tracklisting stuff on it... but thats it.

I mean, when your label/producer book a few weeks of mixing with someone like TLA, its only when the album is done and ready to be mixed...

Well...let's see !
You should be around here more. I miss you from the Spring41/Sum-Time days! :silly:

According to Stevo, Gil Norton is not producing the album anymore. So Deryck and Tom Lord-Alge are the ones to edit and mix the album.
sumtime

Post by sumtime »

TomiT14 wrote: You should be around here more. I miss you from the Spring41/Sum-Time days! :silly:

According to Stevo, Gil Norton is not producing the album anymore. So Deryck and Tom Lord-Alge are the ones to edit and mix the album.
Ah ah ! just like the old days !
I missed all of you too !
i've been ...floatting around since... sumpieces, sum-time, french41 and spring41.

Im so bummed because i was supposed to see the guys on june 7th in paris, and the show was planned to be in a under 400 tickets capacity venue...which was fucking exciting.
its been 5 years since the sums last concert in france. (except one festival 3 years ago, but its quite different imo).

edit:
just read about gil norton... man that sucks! anyone know why ?
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

sumtime wrote:Im so bummed because i was supposed to see the guys on june 7th in paris, and the show was planned to be in a under 400 tickets capacity venue...which was fucking exciting.
its been 5 years since the sums last concert in france. (except one festival 3 years ago, but its quite different imo).

edit:
just read about gil norton... man that sucks! anyone know why ?
Yeah, I was going to fly over to Czech Rep. to see them, but bad luck this time. :sosad:
Stevo said "we tried recording drums with him, but it didn't work out", so I guess they had some differencies which couldn't be worked out.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

I think that Deryck wasn't satisfied with some of the songs so he went home to re-write and re-record those songs... I don't think that they went to Miami to mix just a couple of songs..
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

I know, I just meant to say that they were not necessarily there with all the final songs.
- Stevo32

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

Deryck shouldn't have been partying partying and drinking that much...
djeesee
Bunkface

Post by djeesee »

i was in an accident & my wrist got damaged. its not broken but i cant play. we'll make up these shows & be back soon! thx for understanding
From Stevo's twitter!