n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: Brown Fail

Post by Simon »

Jake-41 wrote:But now it just seems like we should just call this whole fucking band "Deryck". He decides everything about anything.
Wtf .. it's always been like that except that may be Greig Nori had his word in the songwriting process, too.
And what about Cone's song or the song he wrote with Tom, don't forget about all that. They work together closer than it might seem. What's wrong with Deryck usually being the decider, it works. Somebody has to do it and since Steve and Deryck started this band, it can't really be anyone else but Deryck because we know how Steve likes to avoid responsibility for this stuff, because he "just hits things". Also we don't even know about all the decisions. In the last Sum 41 Hanging Out video Deryck even told Cone specifically to speak up if he doesn't like the way the bass sounded right now.
Jake-41 wrote:Can somebody show me a Dave mistake? I'm not saying he never made one, but i just wanna see one.
The Still Waiting octaves Jeremy mentioned are a good example. I've seen some more mistakes just a few days ago, I'll try to find them again. He also messed up the In Too Deep solo pretty often, because he liked to improvise a little instead of just playing it exactly like on the album the way Tom does it. I think there was even a show where you could tell he had a bad day or something because he was always a little off and he kept stumbling over the easiest parts.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:The bottom line is that Dave wanted to play metal. Sum 41 wasn't metal enough and wasn't going further into the metal genre when they discussed in Vegas that they were going to do another pop-punk album (now known as Underclass Hero).
How much further did he want to go? Chuck was pretty heavy. That being said, he could have spoke up and said what he wanted to say about UH, and maybe that album would have had more distortion, and better solo's.

Can we all just agree that Dave should have spoken up, instead of just falling out, and that Tom is a great guy, and guitarist?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jake-41 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Jake-41 wrote:The bottom line is that Dave wanted to play metal. Sum 41 wasn't metal enough and wasn't going further into the metal genre when they discussed in Vegas that they were going to do another pop-punk album (now known as Underclass Hero).
How much further did he want to go? Chuck was pretty heavy. That being said, he could have spoke up and said what he wanted to say about UH, and maybe that album would have had more distortion, and better solo's.

Can we all just agree that Dave should have spoken up, instead of just falling out, and that Tom is a great guy, and guitarist?
I'm not sure. All I know is he didn't want to go back to how the band started out musically. He was there in Vegas when the band discussed their future and I'm sure musical direction was brought up, which was the deciding factor for him to leave.

I'm also not sure if Dave ever did speak up and if he didn't, the reasons behind that. I've never had any qualms with Tom though.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I'm quite looking forward to Dave's thoughts on this new album. It will be nice to hear what he has to say.
[donate][/donate]
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Yeah, me too.
- Stevo32

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

on the GCY CD you can hear Deryck or Dave accidentally play an harmonic during grab the devil..
I just posted this link in another topic but Dave made a mistake here by hitting muted strings at the beginning of the last chorus
Last edited by Mitchell on Wed May 26, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

^
2:34
LOL not exactly sure what happened there, but I think that's what Deryck usually does during the first "part of me" of the last chorus which somehow got lost and so the whole re-entry was messed up. Steve was in correct timing, so I think Deryck was too early which is why you could hear the muted guitar like that.
- Stevo32

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

The funny thing is that even when they make mistakes it still sounds just natural...
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Yeah, like that one time when Steve confused the opening song and played Underclass Hero instead of Hell Song. Tom joins him until after a few seconds, they realize, something isn't right and simply switch the song as if they just wanted to fool the crowd.
- Stevo32

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

during that show they somehow all timed the 2nd start of the hell song perfect