still like your president?

Talk about what's happening now. Talk politics. Talk about whatever is going on in this world.
Laxman 41
Billy Spleen

Re: still like your president?

Post by Laxman 41 »

Bass Cone wrote:The math and science parts of school are helpful for others... I know anatomy is an important science class that is very relevant to our lives. Most stuff you learn in school isn't for the actual use of the information, but rather the ability to problem solve, adapt to different situations, etc. If you just use one part of your brain, the other won't develop. I honestly think the people who complain about school are either lazy or don't realize what's actually going on inside their brains when they're 'forced' to do 'pointless' stuff.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm at an engineering college majoring in Civil engineering, and when I had to take circuits or physics 2 I was wondering why I had to take them. It's exactly as Brittany pointed out, these classes help you with your problem solving skills that will be required later on in your life. Plus, we Amercians have such a lighter load for High School courses than alot of European countries. I'm pretty sure they have to take one or two foreign languages, while we don't have to take any. Whats wrong with progressing the human race? If you don't want to help yourself, then don't go to school. Natural Selection will take care of that for the rest of us. This way we don't get a bunch of Miss Teen South Carolina's everywhere.

And yes, I still like our president. It kind of boggles the mind that when someone wants to better the education system, they are cursed at; but when someone "liberates/invades" a free country, they are considered a hero and praised.
"I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar..."
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

glad someone's on the same page as me
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

Completely agreed with BC and Laxman. This country is getting so lazy...

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Laxman 41 wrote:
Bass Cone wrote:The math and science parts of school are helpful for others... I know anatomy is an important science class that is very relevant to our lives. Most stuff you learn in school isn't for the actual use of the information, but rather the ability to problem solve, adapt to different situations, etc. If you just use one part of your brain, the other won't develop. I honestly think the people who complain about school are either lazy or don't realize what's actually going on inside their brains when they're 'forced' to do 'pointless' stuff.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm at an engineering college majoring in Civil engineering, and when I had to take circuits or physics 2 I was wondering why I had to take them. It's exactly as Brittany pointed out, these classes help you with your problem solving skills that will be required later on in your life. Plus, we Amercians have such a lighter load for High School courses than alot of European countries. I'm pretty sure they have to take one or two foreign languages, while we don't have to take any. Whats wrong with progressing the human race? If you don't want to help yourself, then don't go to school. Natural Selection will take care of that for the rest of us. This way we don't get a bunch of Miss Teen South Carolina's everywhere.

And yes, I still like our president. It kind of boggles the mind that when someone wants to better the education system, they are cursed at; but when someone "liberates/invades" a free country, they are considered a hero and praised.
i'm studying english , italian, spanish and catalan at the moment , i used to study english and french as foreign languages back in high school
i only used my scientific knowledge playing trivial
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Still Waiting wrote:
Laxman 41 wrote:

i'm studying english , italian, spanish and catalan at the moment , i used to study english and french as foreign languages back in high school
i only used my scientific knowledge playing trivial
About the same for me except i study german and english instead.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Maths is always helpful.

And i love page 1 of this thread.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

well I;m still standing on my point. my school wasn't relevant. which is why I lost interest. I would of much rather took lessons that I could use in later life more than algebra.
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero

Post by Bass Cone »

bobbyjames wrote:well I;m still standing on my point. my school wasn't relevant. which is why I lost interest. I would of much rather took lessons that I could use in later life more than algebra.
true, but schools shouldn't offer less math and science classes because to someone that is very relevant. I hate math class, but I know I have to take it for the experience.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I know what you mean, I'm not saying get rid of Math, Science and some other "important" lessons. I HAD to take Math, Science and a Technology, and I'm grateful for it, but did I really need to send 3/4 of a school year on algebra? no. and, when I went to choose my GCSE subjects, I had to choose from either Geography, History or Business Studies. it's not exactly much to choose from. I know that our schooling systems will be different, and I know that different schools in the same area will be different, due to funding and other stuff. But I do think this is soemthing our governments need to look at closely, and maybe give schools and pupils more options for learning.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

bobbyjames wrote:but did I really need to send 3/4 of a school year on algebra?
It's very useful for Programming.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Laxman 41
Billy Spleen

Post by Laxman 41 »

bobbyjames wrote:I know what you mean, I'm not saying get rid of Math, Science and some other "important" lessons. I HAD to take Math, Science and a Technology, and I'm grateful for it, but did I really need to send 3/4 of a school year on algebra? no. and, when I went to choose my GCSE subjects, I had to choose from either Geography, History or Business Studies. it's not exactly much to choose from. I know that our schooling systems will be different, and I know that different schools in the same area will be different, due to funding and other stuff. But I do think this is soemthing our governments need to look at closely, and maybe give schools and pupils more options for learning.

I agree with you that there should be more options for school, maybe more electives, but alot of these core classes are the base classes that will you end up using even if you think it's useless. For example, when you're balancing your budget and need to see how much you can spend and where to allocate money to, you're using algebra. It's a basic skill that can be applied to almost everything. I wish my college would have focused more on our engineering specialties, but when I ask companies around, they always hire from our college over the next because we are well rounded and able to problem solve because of the classes we had to take, so I'm kind of grateful for that.
"I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar..."
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I didn't need to spend 5 months of my life each year learning how to work out how much money I can spend on condoms each week.
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero

Post by Bass Cone »

instill instill instill
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

probably would like him more than McCain but hes starting to suck now. I think this should only happen to students who have low grades.
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

In Grade 6 I had to write a paragraph about something to do with picking a President and what he'd do to make life better.

I picked Arnold Schwarzenegger and said that he'd make schools give out less homework. I failed the assignment and my teacher commented, "You've got to be kidding me."

Maybe more schooling could've done me some good back then, haha.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Da_Aman wrote:probably would like him more than McCain but hes starting to suck now. I think this should only happen to students who have low grades.
If McCain were president he'd have had a heart attack by now.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

Jake! wrote:
Da_Aman wrote:probably would like him more than McCain but hes starting to suck now. I think this should only happen to students who have low grades.
If McCain were president he'd have had a heart attack by now.
from all them chips...

I'll get my coat.