Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Fansite Connection Interviews Deryck

Post by Heather »

Hey all, since we're starting to gather up questions for Deryck here, I thought I'd share my site's interview with the Whibs:

Fansite Connection Q&A with Deryck Whibley

cool. i put all my answers in caps. there maybe some spelling grammar mistakes. i didn't proof read it.
thanks, deryck

-- You recently went to Toronto with Steve to hold rehearsals with Cone, how did the guys react to the new material? GREAT! THE HADN'T HEARD A LOT OF MY NEW STUFF. SO FAR ANYONE I PLAY IT FOR HAS BEEN REALLY IMPRESSED AND SAYS IT'S OUT BEST STUFF. I MEAN MUSIC ALWAYS COMES DOWN TO MATTER OF OPINION OBVIOUSLY, SO I GUESS YOU CAN TAKE THAT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

-- During the Underclass Hero recording, you searched high and low for certain guitar sounds. Are you looking for new guitar tones or attitudes to use on this album? YES! BUT EVEN MORE THIS TIME. I REALLY WANT TO TRY AND CREATE SOUNDS THAT I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE.

-- How many guitars do you own and which ones stand out to you the most? THAT'S A REALLY TOUGH ONE. I DON'T REALLY KNOW. BUT I WOULD SAY I HAVE 50. THE ONES THAT STAND OUT, THAT'S A TOUGH ONE TOO BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT PURPOSES. I HAVE LES PAULS FOR EVERY YEAR STARTING FROM 1956-1963. AND THOSE ARE ALL GREAT. I HAVE A FEW 50'S GRETSCH GUITARS THAT ARE AMAZING. AND MY 52 TELE IS THE TELE I USE THE MOST.

-- What is a typical day like while writing in your home studio? WELL FOR EVERY RECORD IS DIFFERENT. THIS TIME AROUND I HAVE A FULL ON FUNCTIONING STUDIO. AS GOOD AS ANY STUDIO IN LA. I JUST HANG AROUND AND DON'T REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, AND JUST PICK UP A GUITAR AND START PLAYING AROUND. USUALLY SOMETHING JUST COMES OUT. AND IF IT DOESN'T I DON'T FORCE IT. AND SO FAR EVERYTHING HAS BEEN REALLY GREAT.

-- How has your writing style/process has changed throughout the years? IT'S CHANGED A LOT. I THINK THE LAST ALBUM EXPERIENCE REALLY HELPED ME GROW A LOT AS A WRITER AND POSSIBLY AS A PERSON. I DON'T THINK I COULD BE MAKING THE RECORD I'M MAKING NOW WITHOUT UNDERCLASS HERO EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T SOUND ANYTHING LIKE EACH OTHER.

-- How do you build yourself up creatively to bring a new sound to each album, yet still stay true to Sum41's style and energy? I DON'T REALLY THINK ABOUT IT. I JUST WRITE WHAT I LIKE.

-- "Best of Me" and "With Me" expressed lyrics you hadn't touched on in the past. Were these difficult to write, since it was a new direction? THEY WEREN'T DIFFICULT TO WRITE BUT IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT TO SHOW ANYBODY THE SONGS. I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO CHANGE THE LYRICS BEFORE I PUT THE RECORD OUT BUT DECIDED TO BE BRAVE ABOUT.

-- What would you call Sum41's most meaningful song to date? THAT'S A TOUGH ONE BECAUSE IT'S ALL RELATIVE. SONGS CAN MEAN A LOT TO ME, LIKE BEST OF ME, OR WITH ME, OR DEAR FATHER BUT NOT MATTER TO SOMEONE ELSE. I THINK DEAR FATHER WAS THE HARDEST TOPIC I'VE EVER HAD TO SING ABOUT.

--You produced eight tracks on your wife's 4th album, which showcase the piano and acoustic guitar. Were there any challenges to this since the majority of songs you work on are electric and drum driven? THE RECORDING EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN REALLY GREAT. MOSTLY BECAUSE WE ACHIEVE WHAT WE SET OUT TO DO. MUSIC WILL ALWAYS HAVE SOME CHALLENGES BUT IT'S WHAT COMES OUT AT THE END THAT MATTERS. AND WE'VE BEEN REALLY HAPPY WITH ALL OF IT.

-- On your wife's 3rd album you produced two songs that she had co-written with Evan Taubenfeld. We also know you have worked with him on a few solo projects. Can you tell us a little bit about your experience in working with Evan? WELL EVAN IS A GREAT GUY AND A GREAT FRIEND. AND IT'S GREAT THAT WE CAN ALL WORK TOGETHER AND HAVE SUCCESS TOGETHER. WE LIKE KEEPING IT ALL IN THE FAMILY.

-- What experience would you describe as the highlight of your life so far? HA HA. WOW. LIVING IS THE HIGHLIGHT. EVERY DAY IS FUN. I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER HAD A BAD DAY. HONESTLY.

-- We heard you would like an Abbey Dawn for men, which design intrigued this interest? I THINK THE OVERALL STYLE IS COOL. I LIKE THE MORE PUNKY STUFF.

-- When Cone decided to persue the Operation MD what were your thoughts? I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT. THEY'RE A GOOD BAND AND IT FILLED THE TIME FOR HIM WHILE I WAS OFF WRITING FOR A YEAR.
the perfect li e
Billy Spleen
Re: Fansite Connection Interviews Deryck

Post by the perfect li e »

wow cool thanks for yet another update :smile:
The Witness
Ma Poubelle
First name: Nick

Post by The Witness »

the perfect li e wrote:wow cool thanks for yet another update :smile:
all has been said
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Unlike me, Heather has connection's in the music biz.

Have your people, call my people!
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

cool.
good to know the inside scoop
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Wow, great interview ! That's nice from Deryck to answer all these questions, I mean a lot of artists doesn't take the time to do that !
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, Heater, good interview, good questions, good to hear about all the writing experience and stuff. Really nice.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Yeah, very good questions! thank you! :)
K.
Chuck
n00b: R.
AKA: kanguv41
Instrument 1: bass

Post by K. »

-- What experience would you describe as the highlight of your life so far? HA HA. WOW. LIVING IS THE HIGHLIGHT. EVERY DAY IS FUN. I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER HAD A BAD DAY. HONESTLY
bitch.
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

Jake-41 wrote:Have your people, call my people!
you have people?
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Jake-41
Underclass Hero
First name: Jake!

Post by Jake-41 »

Da_Aman wrote:
you have people?
My mommy!!! :glad:

:sosad:
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by Aaron »

Jake-41 wrote:
Da_Aman wrote:
you have people?
My mommy!!! :glad:

:sosad:
hahaha :glad:
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I'm glad you guys liked it! I wanted to ask some questions he's not normally asked. I've got one coming up with Cone about the new OpMD stuff so stay tuned. I asked Todd too, but no reply yet.