Changing Strings ('72 Tele Deluxe)

Play guitar? Don't know tabs? We can help you out right here.
Jeremy Kill
Changing Strings ('72 Tele Deluxe)

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I know I've had this guitar since January, but I haven't ever changed the strings on this thing by myself. I'm really tired of the Dean Markley's I put on it and just figured it'd be nice of a change to get them replaced with different strings.

But the problem is the tuners. I want to change them properly without screwing anything up. The tuners on this guitar are Fender®/Schaller® Vintage “F” Style Tuning Machines.

Note: Not my guitar in this picture

They're basically like those. Does anyone know how to replace strings on those tuners? Do I cut the string before I put it through the hole?
Schniz

Re: Changing Strings ('72 Tele Deluxe)

Post by Schniz »

I think that you need to push it into the hole and rotate the tuner so it locked and then you can cut the string..

Edit - that's what i think because you know.. it's like all the standard tuners.

I have Sperzel Locking Tuners.. To change strings in those tuners its a different way.

i hope i helped :)
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

yea im pretty sure you put it through the hole, twist it around just a bit so it don't come out and afterward you can cut them off if you want.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Okay, that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Someone has like a good guide or video or something to change strings ? basically I mean, cuz since I got my guitar a year ago my friend who's like this guitar pro always changed the strings for me in 2 secs but now he's gone and living in another country and all, and it was surprising and all, so he didn't even have time to show me all from beggining to start, so i left with what i basically remember and its still hard for me.
I mean, in this year i changed strings like 3 times anyway and few times when just one died lol.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Hentaiman wrote:Someone has like a good guide or video or something to change strings ? basically I mean, cuz since I got my guitar a year ago my friend who's like this guitar pro always changed the strings for me in 2 secs but now he's gone and living in another country and all, and it was surprising and all, so he didn't even have time to show me all from beggining to start, so i left with what i basically remember and its still hard for me.
I mean, in this year i changed strings like 3 times anyway and few times when just one died lol.
I don't know if you've already seen his videos, but whenever I feel like learning more about guitars and stuff, I turn to Justin Sandercoe.

http://justinguitar.com/en/TB-003-Chang ... ectric.php

He's got some pretty good lessons.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Thanx! I will check out his videos.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

Hentaiman wrote:Someone has like a good guide or video or something to change strings ? basically I mean, cuz since I got my guitar a year ago my friend who's like this guitar pro always changed the strings for me in 2 secs but now he's gone and living in another country and all, and it was surprising and all, so he didn't even have time to show me all from beggining to start, so i left with what i basically remember and its still hard for me.
i have been playing for 7 years and still fuck up when trying to change strings lol
Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Claudia »

Changing strings is such a pain in the ass.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, I managed to change a string that I "lost to the dark side" hahah today.
He died during rehearsals :balling: And it was such a pain in the ass to change it today and it still looks really weird for me the way it sits there, but hey, as long as its okay and sounds good, thats the important thing.
Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Claudia »

Awwww R.I.P. String, you will be missed.
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

It's easy, I've been playing guitar for 5 years and was showed esp for that kind of head.

1. Loosen al strings on guitar (use string cutter or pliers), cut strings middle of where you strum guitar
- push out the old strings out back of body, then unwind, pull out strings from tuning posts, turn the post back so they all face at right angle for putting new strings through.

2. Polish, clean up ur guitar, Gibson guitar polish, is amazing, can buy from ebay! - Using guitar polish is very good thing as normal house polish can cause scratches. - Tip * cleaning fret board can help strings last longer.

3. You should know thinnest string is first string at bottom, an thickest the 6th string at top (the last), on packet some guitar strings are colour coded, but all start with lower numbers to higher numbers, lowest number, will be first string, highest number will be last string.

- I always start from last to first, so say for e.g. it's gauge 10 strings(10's) being 10 13 17 26 36 46, the 46 would be first the thickest string, put that on an work ur way backwards.

- Have a key winder, string cutters (pliers) ready

4. The tuning post the string goes through, you cut 2 posts after, 2 up everytime, twist the string around, and under the round bit that's there from which the string went through

* you'll need to move it back for last one or second last one too so you get right cut every time (2 up every time).

5. wind round you should have a neat spiral of no more than 3-4 loops.

- Wind with key string winder around, using your other hand, hold the string up with fingers, so has your hand is a diagonal arch like shape, to pressure on the string, wind an let string go through your fingers so that it'll give tighter grip on tuning post. - That usually helps bit for your guitar falling out of tune with new strings.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 for each string

7. Your guitar should now all be neatly re-strung and your guitar polished.

Tip * Give each string a wee tug to make sure it's tight enough on tuning post. Don't be too hard or extreme an break em, lol but give them good tug, they can take it.

8. Now hook up, make sure you're guitar knobs are ok, all up, plug into a tuner, tune the guitar, it's bit fiddly sometimes, but you'll get it.

*tip tune to standard play guitar for couple hours in standard, then tune to desired tuning. comes into falling out of tune with new strings again as I just this tip of advice from someone recently, lol still many time i didn't, still sometimes get away with it, but this is another great tip to do so, so you don't have falling out of tune issues, lol

Hope this has been bit of help.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

^

Yeah, it kinda helped me, but still I always have problems with chaing the strings haha, and I play the guitar like a year and a half and my friend always helps me to change strings.

My problem is like, when you put the string into the hole... then you start spinning the tuning key right away? or what? my friend does those loops kinda weird.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

Hentaiman wrote:^

Yeah, it kinda helped me, but still I always have problems with chaing the strings haha, and I play the guitar like a year and a half and my friend always helps me to change strings.

My problem is like, when you put the string into the hole... then you start spinning the tuning key right away? or what? my friend does those loops kinda weird.

Well once you have it through, make a turn and under as said, so you have start of first loop, so string is locked in the post, has grip, an then get your key winder on the key, an at same time have your hand arched holding string up, an when string's locked in, put pressure on it, pulling it from, then wind it around, you can use your arched hand now an again to adjust the loops go under each other if they don't do it themself, but it should just wind around tightly a create 3 to 4 loops til string is reasonably on tight enough.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

^

Thanx, i'll try that when i'll be changing my strings, alone now haha.