Deryck Plays On Stage With Avril in Toronto

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Re: Deryck Plays On Stage With Avril in Toronto

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, when you're having a panic attack, you feel like you're dying. Some lyrics were pretty dark ("Free-for-all kill them all..." and "Suffocate the dreams in my mind, drown the thoughts that have me confined...") But they way they were sung makes them seem brighter.

I think Underclass Hero could've been a lot better if Deryck switched some vocal harmonies for octaves on guitar on some songs.
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

I thought Nothing on my back was about deryck's step dad and his mom dating and he didnt really approve or something.
tomhoppus is my hero.
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

If that's what it's about then his step dad and mom must have had some pretty traumatising fights... suggesting that they wouldn't be together anymore... "I might as well belong to both of you with the mess you always seem to drag me through..." What the fuck does the beginning of that line mean anyway? "That night forever always haunting me." Traumatised. "So spare your thoughts of sympathy." OK, why's he saying that to his aruing step dad and mom....

Nahhhh...
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
ejk41
Bunkface

Post by ejk41 »

saw the video must have been pretty awesome to have been there..
d4rkst4r
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Kevin

Post by d4rkst4r »

Phili wrote:If that's what it's about then his step dad and mom must have had some pretty traumatising fights... suggesting that they wouldn't be together anymore... "I might as well belong to both of you with the mess you always seem to drag me through..." What the fuck does the beginning of that line mean anyway? "That night forever always haunting me." Traumatised. "So spare your thoughts of sympathy." OK, why's he saying that to his aruing step dad and mom....

Nahhhh...
I can't remember where I got it from but the beginning "I might as well belong to both of you with the mess you always seem to drag me through", I think it slides in pretty well, which "both of you" is he referring to? Likely his step dad and mother. I can't be for sure obviously but after listening to this song many times and listening to lyrics a lot, i makes sense but is hard to describe because I haven't really gone through that. I heard that deryck hated his step dad, whether it's true or not.... But anyways, maybe one specific night where there was a big fight or something.
tomhoppus is my hero.
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction
First name: Troy
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by SociallyInept »

I apologize for not knowing the date Avril Lavigne changed her look, but as I've mentioned, I'm not a big fan of her. Anyways, the point is, she follows trends like crazy and there's no denying that.

And Deryck's break-up songs are very rebelious in the way that he writes about all his exes like they are a burden. Or maybe rebeliouss isn't the word. Apathetic would be a better word I guess and apathy is not pop at all. That's not to say all music with emotion in it is pop, but in the case of Underclass Hero it is. I don't really like All Killer that much either but there's no WAY I would call it a straight pop album. As soon as you hear the guitars in it, the pop image is shattered. Even the drumming on All Killer is edgier and faster, and Steve actually changes up his patterns. UH had the most simplistic patterns in rock, for the most part.
Claudia
Billy Spleen
n00b: bunny
Instrument 1: guitar

Post by Claudia »

Avril doesn't follow trends. She makes them :wink:
there's no WAY I would call it a straight pop album. As soon as you hear the guitars in it, the pop image is shattered. Even the drumming on All Killer is edgier and faster
:agreed:
Amys n00b and Philis grandn00b
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

i think AKNF was way more poppy than UH. they just tried very hard not to make it seem poppy. UH is not a poppy album. just because they have so-called teenage issues or more attitude in the lyrics doesn't make AKNF more of a rock album.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

^EXACTLY.

Deryck is not apathetic at all in any of the lyrics on AKNF. lol. He's mad or disappointed or whatever. He's generally not happy or sad on said lyrics, he's just pissed off or disappointed.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction

Post by SociallyInept »

cool kids wrote:i think AKNF was way more poppy than UH. they just tried very hard not to make it seem poppy. UH is not a poppy album. just because they have so-called teenage issues or more attitude in the lyrics doesn't make AKNF more of a rock album.
You = wrong because you don't agree with me

"I don't care, so why should I even pretend"- Motivation. There's some apathy for you.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

See, I CAN'T agree with you because I don't really believe in apathy. Especially not in lyrics. I believe that every song, every lyric, has some sort of emotion behind it. Even if the lyricist has no idea what he's talking about, he's still feeling something.

Honestly...

You = ignorant because you said "You = wrong because you don't agree with me." Really? Grow up. In this whole debate, you've gone from blaming someone else for someone's issues to saying that someone's wrong because they dare to disagree. Yes, I think you're wrong, but I'm giving you a real argument to convince you of it instead just immaturely telling you that you are for sure wrong. 'Cause, you know what? There is always the possibility that the other person is right.

Maturity in debate is giving the other person the beneit of the doubt. Learn it.
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

pwnt.
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction

Post by SociallyInept »

Phili wrote: You = ignorant because you said "You = wrong because you don't agree with me." Really? Grow up. In this whole debate, you've gone from blaming someone else for someone's issues to saying that someone's wrong because they dare to disagree. Yes, I think you're wrong, but I'm giving you a real argument to convince you of it instead just immaturely telling you that you are for sure wrong. 'Cause, you know what? There is always the possibility that the other person is right.

Maturity in debate is giving the other person the beneit of the doubt. Learn it.
Jesus Christ it was a joke. People take the internet WAY too seriously. You honestly need to lighten up if you thought I was being for realz.
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

Phili wrote:^EXACTLY.

Deryck is not apathetic at all in any of the lyrics on AKNF. lol. He's mad or disappointed or whatever. He's generally not happy or sad on said lyrics, he's just pissed off or disappointed.
they put a few ballads or more heartfelt personal lyrics/songs on UH and suddenly its a pop album lol. i don't get it. still a rock album to me.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction

Post by SociallyInept »

cool kids wrote:

they put a few ballads or more heartfelt personal lyrics/songs on UH and suddenly its a pop album lol. i don't get it. still a rock album to me.
That's not the only thing, I have no problem with heartfelt lyrics. The lyrics to Pieces are heartfelt. The lyrics to Some Say are heartfelt. Fucking all of Chuck is pretty much heartfelt. Its the fact that the whole sound has downgraded. The guitars are like this shitty half distortion and there's no edge to them (minus KoC). The bass was held back from its full potential as we pretty much all know and the drum patterns are so simplistic its ridiculous, which sucks because Stevo is an AMAZING drummer. Not that it wasn't a good album, I'm not saying that at all, it's just nowhere near regular Sum 41 standards.
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

yeah I do agree steve should have done more on drums (I'm guessing deryck didn't let him though if that came up) but just listen to the fast double bass on welcome to hell and I'm not the one. heck even mr. amsterdam and thanks for nothing. we need the double bass again :mrgreen: his fills are great also.
SociallyInept
King of Contradiction

Post by SociallyInept »

spider-man wrote:yeah I do agree steve should have done more on drums (I'm guessing deryck didn't let him though if that came up) but just listen to the fast double bass on welcome to hell and I'm not the one. heck even mr. amsterdam and thanks for nothing. we need the double bass again :mrgreen: his fills are great also.
Yeah, he's definately not a bad drummer, but it's like he didn't but much effort into this one
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

SociallyInept wrote:
spider-man wrote:yeah I do agree steve should have done more on drums (I'm guessing deryck didn't let him though if that came up) but just listen to the fast double bass on welcome to hell and I'm not the one. heck even mr. amsterdam and thanks for nothing. we need the double bass again :mrgreen: his fills are great also.
Yeah, he's definately not a bad drummer, but it's like he didn't but much effort into this one
It seems like no one put any effort into it. Well, except for Deryck's song writing. Cone wasn't allowed to. :roll:
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

SociallyInept wrote:
cool kids wrote:

That's not the only thing, I have no problem with heartfelt lyrics. The lyrics to Pieces are heartfelt. The lyrics to Some Say are heartfelt. Fucking all of Chuck is pretty much heartfelt. Its the fact that the whole sound has downgraded. The guitars are like this shitty half distortion and there's no edge to them (minus KoC). The bass was held back from its full potential as we pretty much all know and the drum patterns are so simplistic its ridiculous, which sucks because Stevo is an AMAZING drummer. Not that it wasn't a good album, I'm not saying that at all, it's just nowhere near regular Sum 41 standards.
i don't think it needed edge. if sum 41 made every album with the in your face edge it would be boring to me and become predictable. i enjoyed the break from that.
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Bass Cone wrote:
SociallyInept wrote:
It seems like no one put any effort into it. Well, except for Deryck's song writing. Cone wasn't allowed to. :roll:
Haha, it seems lyrics were the only thing that improved noticeably in Underclass Hero.